Breaking a skip tooth chain

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cant seem to find a masterlink on my old skip tooth chain. need to get off bike. can i use a normal chain break .. and how do i reassemble??

i was going to say like the last pic on that site but couldn't express
"HOW TO"....

ok like the last pic but do it on a block of soft wood. don't drive the pin all the way out. only drive the pin through enough to slide the outside of the link up so the rest of the chain comes off the pin.

greggah,I hope its not too late for me to chime in...

I've never seen a skip link chain without a master link.

If your chain is real rusty/crusty/greasy it will be tuff to find because the master looks alot like the rest of the links,BUT is just a little diffrent looking.

I would hose that chain with PB Blaster/gasoline etc. and scrub it with a toothbrush.

I'd bet ya it will show up.

if you think you will be working on a few skip link chains it may be better to go to a bike shop and get a chain breaker. these look sorta like a pair of bolt cutters but have a pin that pushes out pressing the pin out and they will work with a skip link chain. this is not a chain tool or at least a regular type. but if push comes to shove the old wood block and drift method works too.

Back