Brass head Badge removal

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 50s Goodyear that I'm building.. I most definitely want to use the headbadge but I want to take it off for paint stripping and painting.. The rivets or studs that are holding it in are seriously tough steel.. They are more of a pin than a rivet because nothing protrudes into the headtube.. I can see where they are but they are flush inside.. I do not want to damage the badge at all. Drilling is not an option because they are rounded, I cannot pound them out from the inside out because the lack of space inside the headtube.. I was thinking a dremel with a small grinding stone?? Any advice would be great. Also for re installing it.. Any advice there would help.. Would you tap the hole? Re-rivet it? It's the only thing holding the paint process up and I really don't want to paint it with the badge on but if I have to I will I guess.
Thanks, zach

Make a 'protector' of thin cardboard, plastic, even alum that has a hole just big enough for the rivet head, tape it on and if (when) your Dremel 'takes a walk' you wont mess up the badge. Try to just flatten it at first by working the dome off, then try to divit it a bit. At that point, if well centered, you may be able to get a small drill bit into it to drill the head off. At worst you can Dremel the whole head off. Go slow and careful and use a magnifier if you have one (its great actually being able to see what you are doing.
Ive thought about making an 'L' shaped headtube bar that has a fulcrum foot to reach down in and a pin set outward to get on that inside shank of the rivets. I think a good 'bump' with a tool like that might push those pins out far enough to get ahold of. So far just thinkin', but if anybody wants to give it a go there aint no patent :wink: .

That sounds spot on. As far as reattaching the badge, I see four options-
1. Tap the hole to 4-40 and use screws (steal them from old cassette tapes). Just be very careful not to break the tiny tap. I have broken 4 off in holes and not successfully tapped any.
2. Good old POP rivets. Not the prettiest option, but cheap and easy.
3. Double sided tape. Not the foam stuff but the real thin stuff from 3m.
4. Find some of the tap in rivets. Might try fastenal or maybe an old time hardware store. I have some in chrome and black but i would need to check my stocks before offering any to you.

Ok thanks guys, the dremel may be the best bet.. I was thinking yesterday when I was trying again to get this thing off.. Man a little L shaped tool with a pivot point would work slick to push them out just far enough to grab it with a pliers.. I guess u have the same thoughts lol. I will give it a try, I need to pick up a dremel first. Thanks again.

I've used a little 90* pointed pick tool. Looks like a tiny screwdriver with a 90* point. Get it centered on the pin inside the tube, then get a wrench or screwdriver handle behind it and use leverage/pressure. The pin should pop out. They're not in there with very much pressure.

Back