Brakes Sticky

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched videos read tutorials and still can't get my brake pads to keep from rubbing against the rims on front and back V brakes. I can adjust them so the dont stick, but as soon as I press in the brake lever they don't release back to normal. Help please if you can. Thank-You.

Casting Crowns said:
I watched videos read tutorials and still can't get my brake pads to keep from rubbing against the rims on front and back V brakes. I can adjust them so the dont stick, but as soon as I press in the brake lever they don't release back to normal. Help please if you can. Thank-You.
There might be some adjusting screws that will adjust the tension on each side, if so then mess with those.

Casting Crowns said:
Thank-You I did that and it improved it big time. Still rubs a little but just in spots. Pherhaps the wheel is out of true? :?:
Could be, you can check it out by just spinning the wheel and moving the brakes in really slowly and seeing if it touched in some parts and not other.
I have an early set of cantilever brakes that don't have the adjusters, I had to mess with washers.

I want to add on to this thread since I have a similar question, just a different braking system.

I just overhauled my coaster brake the other day, cleaned it out, degreased the bearings, and the regreased them with Phil Wood grease. When I took the hub apart originally there was some really waxy type grease or material in there, all over it. I didnt go crazy with the grease I put back in there, just the bearings and the threads that activate the brakes. Should there be liberal amounts of grease in this thing or is just doing the bearings what is proper?

It just seems like it doesnt stop smoothly and it went back together correctly.

Brand,Different old/new greases 'react' (dont like) each other.BREAKDOWN.

My sugestion is to disassemble the rear hub and soak/scrub EVERYTHING til thier spotless clean...(gasoline is my favorite) Then re-pack the bearings and coat every part inside the hub with 'too much' grease.

Hope it works out for ya.

adjusting v brakes can drive you crazy sometimes. i start by making sure the brake pads are going to hit the rim right. in a perfect world you should be able to adjust them so the pad hits square to the rim. the problem is on cheap v brakes this causes a loud squeal sometimes so you have to "toe" the pad so the front edge hits the rim first. second is centering the brakes but make sure the wheel is all the way in the frame and centered first. then use the adjusting screws to center the brakes so they don't rub. if you think the wheel is out of true then take it too a shop or if you are feeling brave do it yourself.

MagicRat said:
Brand,Different old/new greases 'react' (dont like) each other.BREAKDOWN.

My sugestion is to disassemble the rear hub and soak/scrub EVERYTHING til thier spotless clean...(gasoline is my favorite) Then re-pack the bearings and coat every part inside the hub with 'too much' grease.

Hope it works out for ya.

Cool, it sounds like its time to soak them for awhile. Thanks. What about the surface of the brake pads themselves, since they are metal do they need grease too??

yes grease everything inside. if you dont put some grease on the shoes you will end up with that grabbing problem and sometimes even a horrable squeeeeeeeeeeallll sound.

karfer67 said:
yes grease everything inside. if you dont put some grease on the shoes you will end up with that grabbing problem and sometimes even a horrable squeeeeeeeeeeallll sound.

thank you!!

karfer67 said:
adjusting v brakes can drive you crazy sometimes. i start by making sure the brake pads are going to hit the rim right. in a perfect world you should be able to adjust them so the pad hits square to the rim. the problem is on cheap v brakes this causes a loud squeal sometimes so you have to "toe" the pad so the front edge hits the rim first. second is centering the brakes but make sure the wheel is all the way in the frame and centered first. then use the adjusting screws to center the brakes so they don't rub. if you think the wheel is out of true then take it too a shop or if you are feeling brave do it yourself.

i've been told (and I think the Big Blue Book of Bicycle Repair states) to toe the pads all the time...and my new Kool Stops stated in the directions to toe the pads

Back