Brake and shifter cable help.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am converting a hybrid to a Beach Cruiser. How do I go about ordering new cables long enough for both my brakes and shifters? Help please

Thank you

Flash

Long enough? If your hybrid is a standard/"normal" example of the genre, any ol' complete cable/housing set will do.... go for a "mtb" one, as it will have the right ends on the brake cables for your levers....or get a "Universal", as these will have a road end on one side and a mtb end on the other.

They're spendy, but I'm pretty much hooked on Jagwire products now. Performance is great, the come in different colorways, including some nice fake braided stuff.... and the compressionless brake cable housing imporves the feel of many different brake systems... but, really anything will do, except dedicated road brake cables.

Long enough is my question... My concern, I'm going from a MTB style handle bars to Beach Cruiser Bars. salesman at my local Bike shop told me I need longer cables for both Brakes and Shifters... He said my current cables were too short.

Universal cables should be plenty long enough new, ask at your lbs, mine sells cheapies at about 6foot lengths

From Tapatalk on this stoopid iPhone...

I thought I was going to have to buy extra-long tandem cables for the back brake and shifter:

Just regular length cables and housings from my local bike shop. Admittedly, there's not much slack with 25" tall apehangers but there's enough slack to turn the handlebars all the way back and forth....

...and with more "normal" apehangers there's all kind of excess cable!

Dude at the shop was right; your current cables have been cut to fit your current set-up, and will be too short. A regular new (uncut) set of cables will be plenty long enough...

No problem dudeskis, but you realise now we need pics when finished :p

From Tapatalk on this stoopid iPhone...

Back