Bottom Bracket threads......HELP

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most likely you have a raleigh type bottom bracket. Modern bottom brackets will not thread in. If you forced one in, then the bb shell is fubar.

PS- I see now that you have a mid-80's port-a-bike. I'll see what info, if any, i can find.

Also ps: here's what a co-op means to us city-folk:
bikechurch.jpg

cman said:

That's exactly what I have in the link.

My axle length is like 146mm but it doesn't have the "bolt on" crank arms. They slide on and then a wedge like pin goes in to hold it. I don't mind changing those. If the ones from Niagara Cycle that Sinner4 posted will work with this particular bike and small BB, I'll probably order one.

Chips_Mahoy said:
My axle length is like 146mm but it doesn't have the "bolt on" crank arms. They slide on and then a wedge like pin goes in to hold it. I don't mind changing those. If the ones from Niagara Cycle that Sinner4 posted will work with this particular bike and small BB, I'll probably order one.

Current BB shell options
- Rethread the threads at a bike shop using the appropriate die (italian or british(standard)).
- Reface face the shell to a 68mm width and Maybe one of those repair bottom brackets would work. Bike shop would need to reface.

Or

Replace the BB shell and use the BB cartridge that came with it.

Bicycle808 said:
so.... what happened?

I'm about to leave to go to the bike shop right now. I found the missing bearing cup so all I have to do is find the right bearings and I'm good!! Stand by for an update later today....

Well.......that was a big bust. Evidently the bearing size is an oddball size and nothing fits. The guy there tried to find something but no luck. So now I'll proceed with my Plan-C and hope for the best....... :?

Chips_Mahoy said:
Bicycle808 said:
so.... what happened?

I'm about to leave to go to the bike shop right now. I found the missing bearing cup so all I have to do is find the right bearings and I'm good!! Stand by for an update later today....

I'm still lost here.... are the threads damaged, or was the cup just missing? If the threads were damaged beyond repair, as indicated earlier, then finding the og cup and proper bearings wouldn't have helped anyway. If the threads are salvageable, then why not just get a un55 in Italian-flavor????

I think I've got a fix for it!!! It's a little odd but it works!!

31407377891969-vi.jpg
[/URL]

The drive side will get the inner cup and bearing. The non-driver side is getting a flanged bearing with a 1 3/8" OD and 5/8" ID. It fit into he BB and over the crank shaft perfectly. I don't know if this would be a good fix for a bike that's used heavily, but for this bike's light use it should work okay. What do you think??

Back