BMX advice and opinions needed

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lately I've gotten interested in trying to do some bmx riding again after a 40 year hiatus. Like maybe dirt jumps, skate park and some tricks. Not interested in big air, I'm mid 50s with plenty of aches and pains already and don't feel like I need a bunch more broken bones. 14 so far is enough; yes I've tended to be braver rather than smarter. :21:

I dragged home this lovely little jewel to enter in the winter build off and ride.
Rival.jpeg

The guy thought it was an early '90s Redline Proline. I knew it wasn't a Proline as those have an aluminum frame. I was hoping maybe it was a mid level model but after a bunch of research I think it's a low end kid's bike. I think it might be a mid 2000s Redline Rival which has no chromoly, all Hi-ten steel, and low level componentry. You can buy one on sale right now for $200 for a Xmas present.
1701381245887.png

So with a cheap frame, forks and bars I think my project might not be strong enough for me to actually use. I think I need something with chromoly frame, forks, bars and cranks and double wall rims. I have an old Redline:
IMG_1436.JPG

I built it as a tribute to my high school bike that got stolen 30 years ago. I don't want to thrash it, I need something else to throw around.

So I need some advice on something new school. My budget is probably $500 or less. I'm 5'6" and the recommended frame size is 20 1/2". Here's some that I've been looking at.

Kink Whip. I think this is a great option. All chromoly, double wall rims, good parts and geometry. They are $500 new right now.
1701381716914.png

This one's available used for $275, probably 2 years old. I think that's a bit steep but???
1701381776353.png

The Cult Gateway might be a good option. It's $335 new right now. Some chromoly, double wall rims with sealed bearing hubs. Pretty solid for the price, I'm just not sure if I need full chromoly or if partial will do.
1701381916672.png

I came across this Elite Destro for $225 new. It has really good parts. Chromoly bars, forks and cranks, double wall rims and sealed bearing hubs. The downer is the Hi-ten steel frame. I could thrash on it for a while and upgrade the frame when I find a good deal. Plus the pink camo tires, come on! The thing practically sells itself. :grin:
1701382041159.png

Also this used We The People Crysis is available for $250 and is a really solid model. I just don't want to make the drive to where it is to get it.
1701382129617.png

So what do you guys think? Is there anything else I should be looking at or thinking about? Anyone have one for sale?

Got an interesting package today.
IMG_0637.jpeg

This is the Eastern Traildigger referenced above. It was on a pretty large discount for Black Friday and I couldn’t resist. It came mostly pre-assembled.
IMG_0638.jpeg

It only took about 15 minutes to throw it together.

IMG_0639.jpeg

It’s a pretty cool bike. I played around with it for a while before rain and nightfall. My BMX skills are so rusty as to be almost nonexistent. But it’s really fun and I’m looking forward to learning some tricks. I need to play around with the ergos and get the brake to actually work. That’s a good excuse to buy a decent set of brake pads and a gyro I think. 🤔 :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back