Blue Bomber II

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought an old womens beach cruise bike from the salvation army back in the early 90's. It was spray painted all blue and was under $10. I hand painted "Blue Bomber" on the chain guard and usually kept it in my old VW Bus which came in handy a few times. It eventually got stolen and a year later I spotted it across town in a trailer park. I did not want to get caught trying to get it back so fast forward to today, I picked up an unassembled nel lusso bike from wal mart. I love the tan tires so I'm going to make another blue patina cruiser. I'll post more pics as I go.

Last edited:
Your image is not showing up for me via Google Chrome. I had to right click on the image place holder and open in a new tab to see it at the image hosting site.

The Huffy bikes are great inexpensive builds. I have always liked the black Nel Lusso in stock form.

flCabUt.jpg

Luke.

I hit the image icon here and it says to insert the address, I don't see any bbcode?
You don't need to hit the image icon here if you use the BBCode from Imgur, just paste it directly into the post.

Luke.

fH8apHm.jpg

I should have taken a picture after I stripped it but I welded up the water bottle lugs and added some tabs for a number plate. Going to sand some paint off next. I painted the forks but when I find some earlier looking ones I'll switch them out.

UpMP7cz.jpg

Well it's difficult to see but didn't want sandpaper scuff marks, So to look more realistic I kicked the frame and forks around the gravel driveway while drinking a beer. Now they are waiting in the rocks for some rain to rust up a bit which should not be too long here in Washington state lol.

c0vaEln.jpg

I also picked up a similar huffy women's bike called a Santa fe for $2 at a garage sale. I'm going to use the rusty peppered rims, crank, and bars on my patina cruiser.

Curious to see how the rock kicking distressing turn out. Sounds like a ingenious idea.

Hard to beat the deal you got on the Santa Fe at $2. I never pass up free or cheap bikes. Although I don't come across them often. That's probably a good thing because my garages have to many bikes already and I never tried to accumulate a bunch.

So I made an accent panel from a scrap of sheet metal from work.
Z4mZ9wS.jpg

Then I sanded the galvanized coating off so it will rust. I added some white numbers which are hard to see now but I'm hoping it will be a good contrast once it starts rusting. I finished it just in time for the rain.

XKVbZ1r.jpg

Well I think the galvanized coating is too deep. I don't think it will rust very much. That one will become wall art and version two is from plain 18 gage metal and has an added pinstripe around the edge. I'll bet in will be rusty by morning.

h98XI2t.jpg

Mix water with a few spoons of salt and vinegar into a squirt/spray bottle and BOOOM instant rust. To speed it up even more place your plate in a plastic bag, then spray and let sit.

Mix water with a few spoons of salt and vinegar into a squirt/spray bottle and BOOOM instant rust. To speed it up even more place your plate in a plastic bag, then spray and let sit.
The frame, forks, bars, and crank have been bouncing around in the back of my truck and or laying in the driveway. I'll get some updated pics soon but thanks for the tip.

Back