BLACKBIRD (Skylark Convertible)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Come on y'all, you're going to give me the big head!
It's pretty simple really. But thanks just the same, I do appreciate the comments.:blush:

Set them out in the sun today. No need to take them out of the frames till I'm ready to lace'm up! Just propped them against each other.
View attachment 100338

I'm using automotive paint, just can't get that look with rattle can paint!
And they are self supporting also :bigsmile:

...And dragonflies like them in the self supporting illuminati tetrahedron configuration.:)
100_7016.JPG

Back on task with the front fender. The hard part is done with the wing tip, now it's on to preparing it for making a mold!

The next step is to attach a bottom to it. I hot glued more HDU blocks inside the fender to be able to screw down the aluminum composite cap.
I also filled in the fork cut outs. I should have done this before all of the other bodywork but I was on the fence about whether or not to have them in the mold. Ultimately I decided that having them would be limiting for any applications other than a Bluebird or Skylark. I'm hoping to see the TRM Mullet Fenders used on custom bikes also!
100_7020.JPG
100_7021.JPG

Got the fender capped off and the edges filled and sanded. It's ready for the final coat of primer tommorow!

Here's the two pieces screwed together before bondo.
100_7022.JPG

And here's the finished bodywork around the edge. This will add about 3/16" (+-) to the edge so that the eventual parts have some room for trimming after they are removed from the mold.
100_7025.JPG

100_7026.JPG

That would be a lot of work to do just for a set of fenders good thing your also building them to sell also.
Yes, that's why I'm willing to spend a month on it.
It's put me way behind on the actual bike. I may have to reevaluate my plans for finishing the build off in time.

It's good to have friends with a paint booth!
This will be the final finish for the mold so I don't want any issues at this stage!
IMG_1059.JPG

Yes, that's why I'm willing to spend a month on it.
It's put me way behind on the actual bike. I may have to reevaluate my plans for finishing the build off in time.

It's good to have friends with a paint booth!
This will be the final finish for the mold so I don't want any issues at this stage!
View attachment 100491

It's great when you can have a fun hobby that also makes you some money. I have been lucky enough to do that by flipping bikes, but you have carved out a nice niche market for yourself with the tanks and seats. Cool to see the process of your new fender product.

Yeah, the tanks have done well. I'm hoping that by being able to offer a front and rear 'Mullet' fender set that will have some appeal to custom builders and Bluebird/Skylark owners. The only problem is that my cost is a lot higher than I would like. :( I'm hoping to renegotiate that with the pairs.

The front 'Mullet' plug is finished!
IMG_1071.JPG

Well almost. I wet sanded it with 1000 and followed with 1500 grit. It actually had a little shine after sanding!
IMG_1072.JPG

IMG_1077.JPG

I've been waxing it with mold release every hour or so all day today. Planning to have at least 9 coats of wax before bed tonight!

Yeah, the tanks have done well. I'm hoping that by being able to offer a front and rear 'Mullet' fender set that will have some appeal to custom builders and Bluebird/Skylark owners. The only problem is that my cost is a lot higher than I would like. :( I'm hoping to renegotiate that with the pairs.

The front 'Mullet' plug is finished!
View attachment 100591

Well almost. I wet sanded it with 1000 and followed with 1500 grit. It actually had a little shine after sanding!
View attachment 100592
View attachment 100594

I've been waxing it with mold release every hour or so all day today. Planning to have at least 9 coats of wax before bed tonight!
Good Night John Boy !

No turning back now! The mold making started today!:rockout:

First up, a healthy application of gel coat. Normally this would have been green, but they were out today so black it is. The green just makes it easier to see when black parts are being made but it works just the same.
IMG_1090.JPG

Next the glass is laid up by Unique Motorcars' fiberglass man Terry Harbin. If you have a TRM fiberglass tank, saddle or fenders, Terry's the guy that made it!
IMG_1093.JPG

IMG_1097.JPG

IMG_1099.JPG

IMG_1100.JPG

This first layer will cure till tomorrow before heavier layers will be added for a strong mold. More pics tomorrow.

Last edited:
TRM Products - Next on........

12268282_768x1024.jpg

I thought that would make folks wonder! :p
Kinda ironic that I went looking for anything that might work for a stand and found something with pedals on it.:21:

Turned out to be the perfect size. Just cut the pedals off, bent it in the middle and this happended...
IMG_1106.JPG

If it's true that "You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs", it must also be true that "You can't make a fender mold without breaking the plug".:21:

There's no do-overs!!! Of course I fully expected it to come out in pieces, I would've been suprized if it hadn't.
IMG_1108.JPG

Last edited:
It's certainly no @Chad T polish job, but I've got the mold buffed out and have been waxing it over and over (once every hour). Trying to get as many coats as I can by the end of the day.

IMG_1109.JPG
IMG_1110.JPG

It will return to the fiberglass shop tomorrow and hopefully I'll have the first fender out of the new mold either tomorrow or the next day!

Latest posts

Back