"Black Sunshine" - '62 Typhoon *DONE*

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm finally starting my first build and it's using my '62 Schwinn Typhoon frame. I'm not in any hurry to complete this, but I do want to have it ready for the road by spring. The first pic shows the bike as I purchased it at the end of November, 2008. It was a real looker, wasn't it? :lol: The next picture shows what I had done to personalize it a bit.

*Edit* Re-named this build after one of my favorite White Zombie tunes. Some of you may be familiar with it. Most probably won't be.

s0lguwxi.jpg

nx4x21xh.jpg

Here's the frame after I tore it down last night. Since it's winter and my wife isn't fond of paint fumes wafting through the house I decided not to paint in the basement. Getting a deal on having two bikes sandblasted and painted with automotive paint at a body shop. Should have the frame back next week in gloss black.
101_9470_2_92506.jpg

Re: "861 SPECIAL" - '62 Typhoon Build

Cool!

I like those 'phoonie frames.

Looks great. Are you going to mount that headlight somehow?

Wildcat said:
Looks great. Are you going to mount that headlight somehow?

I plan on mounting a light, but not the one in the picture. I've got another that's slightly smaller and more of it fits in between the fork.

Re: "Black Sunshine" - '62 Typhoon Build

gripping the bars his knuckles went white with desire
The wheels of his Typhoon exploding on the highway like a slug from a .45
True death: 400 horsepower of maximum performance piercing the night
This is black sunshine....Black top rolling below the asphalt drive
A concrete fascination scraping the edge of nothing.............. Sweetin the Ride ...Yeah!

MonsterMetal said:
gripping the bars his knuckles went white with desire
The wheels of his Typhoon exploding on the highway like a slug from a .45
True death: 400 horsepower of maximum performance piercing the night
This is black sunshine....Black top rolling below the asphalt drive
A concrete fascination scraping the edge of nothing.............. Sweetin the Ride ...Yeah!

8) That's what I'm talking about! 8)

While I'm waiting for the frame to get back, I'm going to work on retro-fitting this old light with a 12-LED board. I plan on using a push-button switch in a hole that already exists in the bottom of the housing. Power will come from a rechargeable battery pack that will also be in the light housing.

d5kcrpho.jpg

bvujkxvu.jpg

Removed a tiny bit of peppered rust and polished up the Mag chain ring. This is a 52-toother so I'll try to stick to level ground when taking this bike out for a cruise.

101_9476_1b660.jpg

It's been over a month since my last post on this "build". Heck, I wouldn't even consider it a build...more of a repaint and parts swap. Anyway, sometimes the "deals" you think you're getting end up taking longer than expected. I had the frame sandblasted and painted at a body shop. Thing is it took them longer to get it finished, and when finished I found a good section where I could see primer due to very thin coverage. So I had to send it back in to get touched up. Just got it back two days ago and threw it together. I am terrible at documenting with pics, so you're just going to get the final product.

I had planned on adding a light(which I may still do), but for now I really like how simple the bike is. Here's what has changed since the "before" pics:

* Swapped out the whitewalls for some new street treads.
* New silver chain
* New handle bars

That's all, folks. Like I said, it's not really a build. However, it IS quite a transformation from the look it had when I originally purchased it.

pftbnvso.jpg

rf42ne33.jpg

u5utlo2i.jpg

e5ytzjca.jpg

Yep... Nicely done.

Thanks for the compliments, guys. 8)

The tires are 26x2.125 Cheng Shins. I have a set of 26x1.90 on another bike and really like them, so I got some more in the traditional "balloon" size. I ordered them about 2 weeks ago and paid $8.48 per tire. Now they're $12.56 each. :?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A7RTAC/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header

voodoowagon said:
Like it and love the name of it.

I was thinking of cutting a small silver "BLACK SUNSHINE" to put on the frame somewhere, but I'm still on the fence.

slacker said:
Nice looking bike.

Say... When are you gettin' up to these parts again?

Thanks. Not sure when I'll be back up that way. My folks will be driving past Madison this weekend on their way to Richland Center and LaCrosse. They're bringing back a bike from LaCrosse that I paid for and a friend of their's picked up for me about 6 weeks ago.

Latest posts

Back