Bize "Brutto" [FINISHED]

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so like I said in my intro, this never started out as a build project. She was a junker that I found and originally my goal was simply to make it ridable and nothing more. . . One thing led to another and my vision for this bike grew. Having said that, this bike still is not a full blown custom. It's simply an exercise in turning junk into something I actually like :D

This was the state it was in when I found it. Pretty much all there, although the front wheel bearings had collapsed and as you can see; the tyres are so old that they're actually falling apart.
20100904a.jpg

So I replaced the wheel bearings, but got carried away and bought white walls when replacing the tyres. I rode it every day like this with no further thought on the matter. Then I had the opportunity to powder coat some stuff red for free, so I stripped the rims off and away they went
Newrim.jpg

While waiting for the rims to come back, I got rid of the front derailleur and excess chainrings, removed the decals, replaced the bars with a set off a Kawasaki W650 (these work great because their diameter is 1" so they fit in the stem, but the ends taper down to 7/8" so the levers and grips still fit. Also the grips are two "cafe racer" style left grips off a motorbike. The rims came back and I continued riding the bike every day and it still only owed me the cost of the tyres and the front wheel bearings.
06a.jpg

That's when it occurred to me that the brakes were going to wreck the powder coat on the rims. . . ..... (I guess this is about the time when the build took on a life of its own.

So I sourced a cheap coaster hub rear wheel set and simply swapped my red rim to it. Now I had a single speed, so I had to get a new chain. In the mean time I realised that I wanted a larger chain ring to make it more ridable. So I bit the bullet and took her off the road and stripped her down completely.

I'm just waiting till I go back to work (I'm on leave right now) so I can shave and paint the chassis. I've already shaved and painted the forks
Forks.jpg

The cups of the bottom bracket were worn. I really wanted to keep this bike "low tech", but the one-piece crank with cup and ball technology just seems inadequate to me. I came across the solution from BMX websites: a two piece crank with sealed bearings conversion kit :D

I also stumbled upon an old sprung saddle (another freebie) that I'll have a go at restoring, a new chain ring coming from the States and a set of peddles and chain sitting here waiting to be fitted.

So I just have to get that frame done so I can start the rebuild.

Re: Bize "Brutto"

SOUNDS GOOD AND LOOKS GOOD ALSO. WELCOME TO RATROD BIKES. HERE'S SOME INSPIRATION FOR YA
GEDC0240-1.jpg
. YA MAY NOT DO THIS TO YA BIKE BUT AT LEAST YA CAN ...GET TA BUILDIN'!! PEACE

Yeah this place definitely seems to be the place for inspiration :)

This bike is going to stay simple, more of a tidy up, rather than a build, but what I've seen on this forum has already got me excited about chopping up another bike and making a board track style bike. I better get my TIG skills tightened up :p

Gotta love WW tires, with red rims and a flat black frame...INSTANT RatRod! COOL!

So I got stuck in and the frame has been shaved and I even welded in a plate to fill in the little triangle that's created by the two seat stays and the old brake mounting point (there was no real purpose for doing this, I just wanted to add a little personal touch to an otherwise standard, boring frame and make it feel a bit more like "mine"). It's spring here and we've had some nice weather so I was all pumped to start painting this weekend and the weather has turned. It's about 5C here, so too cold to paint :( *frustration*

I've got most of the parts I need now and I'm dying to get the frame painted so I can start putting it all together. I just need to find some tyres (my whitewall ended up on my girlfriends's bike since mine was stripped down) and recondition an old springer saddle I found.

Update

I've made a small amount of progress. . . I originally had my heart set on a Brooks springer saddle for this bike, but in the end I just thought it was all too bling for this build and I already had some old springer saddle I'd come across in my travels.

It's old and covered in rust and paint, but I just like the shaped of it and as a bonus it's even comfortable :D

I stripped it down so see what I could salvage:

SaddleStripped.jpg

I lucked out in that the chrome on the springs wasn't actually too bad once I got all the gunk off them. The rails and clamp though were another matter though so they went black and all the rusted fasteners were replaced. I got the rust off the rivets and was going to black them out too as "chrome" paint looks so nasty, but now I see them in their bare metal state, I like them, so I'm going to try and paint them in a dull silver colour (like "aluminium") and see if that looks ok or not. Then I cut out some replacement padding out of the upholstery from another junk saddle.

SaddleAfter2.jpg

So all in all, I'm pretty happy how it turned out.

The weather has been good and I've been busy. I've nearly finished painting, and while I was hoping to be finished this weekend, I realised that in the past I've found that leaving the paint for at least a week before touching it gets better results, so I'm exercising restraint and accepting that the final build wont start just yet.

FramePainted.jpg

I also worked out what to do with the chrome bits that are too far gone (like the handlebar clamp bolt and the steering head bearing cups). I'm going to paint them gloss white. Originally I was just going to paint them the same colour as the frame, but I think they'll work as highlights and also stop the bike looking like it was just sprayed all over with a can of paint.

SeatClamp.jpg

In the mean time I did manage to find a replacement for the one piece BB and in mock up, I'm really happy with how it looks.

IMG_0730.jpg

(Mocked up)
IMG_0732.jpg

My chain wheel arrived the other day and I have a pair of tyres on order, so unless I've missed something I've got everything I need to finish this project.

The BB conversion turned out great Fireproof!

I went with a BMX style kit that worked well with my frame (which was a MTB from the early 90s/late 80's judging by the componentry). The bearings and covers were a Redline set. They were available with either a 22mm ID or a 19mm ID. Apparently a 19mm axle gives you more choice of cranks, but they only had the 22mm in stock the day I was at the shop (plus I like the beefy cranks I got anyway). The rest of my kit was made up of a Twenty crank set, which included the cranks, axle, spacer tube and shims.

IMG_0764.jpg

The bearings press fit into the BB tube, that axle is inserted and then you put on the covers, shims if needed, (I didn't) and finally the cranks. tighten up the end screws to tension it all, then tighten the pinch bolts on the cranks and the job's done. Simple as can be and the results. . . I couldn't be happier. The cranks turn super smooth, with no noise and no looseness.

IMG_0759.jpg

IMG_0774.jpg

When I was setting up the torque arm for the coaster brake I came up with a simple idea for stopping the strap scratching the frame (and getting rid of the unwanted silver colour). . . . I just used a bit of electrical heat shrink.

IMG_0766.jpg

IMG_0773.jpg

So the bike is all back together now and once I've made a couple of minor adjustments it'll be finally finished. Hopefully the rain will go away and it'll be a sunny day tomorrow so I can take some decent pics and more importantly: take her for her first run.

FINISHED

The weather is terrible so I'll have to make do with indoor, photos.

I was tempted to add springer forks, but I kept with my original plan and all in all I'm pretty happy with how it turned out and I'm itching to start on something a bit more ambitious now. . . Maybe a trike. . . I'm not sure yet.

H.jpg

HRear.jpg

HFront.jpg

Sweet!! That thing looks hot rod!!

Back