bikes I will find this weekend

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sister lives about a 45 minute drive from me. She watches for bikes for me. Last weekend she saw 3 or 4 bikes sitting in someones yard near her house. She stopped to check on them and met a very nice 76 year old gentleman. They had a good visit for more than an hour. When she ask about the bikes he told her I could have the bikes, and a few more that were around back if I was willing to drive down there to get them. He said that he had one three-speed that he still rides that he would keep. He mentioned that it needed a tire replaced. I am going to his house this Saturday with two new 26x1 3/8 tires and tubes. I will take along some tools and a pump as well as the cleaners and supplies to do a good spring cleaning and tune-up on his keeper. I intend to fix his bike even if the "freebies" are not worth hauling home. I say God bless a 76 year old who still rides. No telling what he might have . I will post pictures if there is anything of interest. :wink:

that's awsome,you know i got this leekie rear tire on my tractor :wink:

I finally might get to make the trip tomorrow. The forecast is for sunshine and temps in the 80s.I have a new ( used , new to me) truck that gets 25+ mpg and have 2 new 26x 1 3/8 tires and tubes to take. I don't have a cell phone though and my son and his wife are expecting their 2nd son any day now. The "due date" is actually Sunday so I'll have to call home and check in often if I go. Actually, the hospital they will go to is nearer where the bikes are than my house.It appears that all systems are go for my trip.I am looking forward to meeting the man almost as much as seeing the bikes. My sister says he lives on property that his grandfather bought with the money he was given when he was freed from slavery in Georgia and came to North Carolina. Hopefully I will soon have pictures of him and the bikes if he has no problem with posing for a shot or two. :!:

That makes me so Happy to hear this ..To bad you don't live close to me I have many pairs of new 26" tires you could have had a free pair...Tubes..I still patch LOL Good luck with the repair..and God bless that 76 year young man.. :wink:

Well , it sounded too good to be true, didn't it? Sure enough , I called the gentleman Saturday morning to arrange the visit and was told that his son had disposed of the bikes since I heard about them. If you snooze , you lose I guess.The day was not a total loss though. I went to a friend's junkyard near home for my weekly visit. I found a pile if bikes that someone had dumped on Friday. Twelve bikes , actually. Included was a Peugeot ten speed and a April 1971 men's Schwinn Varsity. The Peugeot is rideable except the crank arm on the right side is stripped where the pedal screws on.I will look into repairing or replacing the arm.The varsity looks pretty good after a good cleaning except both rims are rusted beyond repair. I giess I will decide whether it is worth replacig the rims or not.There are a couple of ten speeds and three or four three speeds included, as well as a couple of mountain bikes.I will post some pics later. 8)

huffyventurethreespeed001-5.jpg

12 bikes on my S10 truck
huffyventurethreespeed002-1.jpg

The Peugeot. The seat is wasted.
huffyventurethreespeed007.jpg

Columbia three speed, I rode it after airing up the tires.

Latest posts

Back