Bikes Galore

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work at a scrapyard and see hundreds of bikes a day come through the scale and i'm just starting to get into RatRod bikes. I've been pulling alot of bikes out that need saving :i can't help it i have a problem: I know somewhat what are good bikes like the Elgins, Schwinns, Columbias and bikes like that. I see alot of road bikes and commuter style bikes that i just let go. I see tone of Archey Sturmer hub go through mostly AW style with the greasert on it.

I guess my question is what parts should i be looking for that come through on any kinda of bike that are vaulable or just handy parts to have?

Also i see tons of older girl bikes but a guy that i work with said they aren't worth saving. Are there any types that are worth saving or part worthy for other bikes?

I have sold alot of the bikes that i pull out and have recently started to started to grab some for myself.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

most of the girl bikes get parted out .. to fix boy bikes... the girls took better care of the bikes or they
just did not get used much ... any pre war bike is worth save... heck any bike is worth save less some of the
new stuff

its always worth grabbing bikes with tanks or skiptooth sprockets.
we all would love to see pictures

P.S. My father owns a scrap yard and he puts aside all bikes until I say crush it.

Nick.

Heres one that just came in

73stingray.jpg

With road bikes it's all about brand name, I have sold quite a few for $100-$175. Names to look for: Schwinn, Fuji, Trek, cannondale, as far as components : campagnola, Araya rims, also anything with stamping on the bars near the stem, that is a good tell tale sign of a good bike. Also being scrap price don't be afraid just to buy a bike for one part. I have done it many times just for tubes, tires, and bearings.

Heres another one not sure if it belongs on here but its a nice road bike 81 Nishiki Sport it has a set of Champion Drop bars and a nice set of Sugino VT cranks on it. Might just strip that stuff off and huck it back in pile.

nishikisport.jpg

Id say it really depends on the room you have and what you plan on doing with the bikes, myself I look out for single speed bikes 20 inch and up and mountain bikes as for parts bars, seats, tires, rims, internal 3 speed & 7 speed hubs and the components for them.

That Nikishi would be a quick $125 around here. If the cables and tires are good I'd clean it up and post it on Craigslist.

Could be a 63 Stingray come through there one day.

Make it easy and save anything you can and post up pics here. We have tons of bike experts here on all types of bikes. That way you won't let any good ones slip through. You can always throw them back on the pile later.

I wish I could get a job at a scrapyard. Usually it's tough to get those bikes.

Those are nice bikes, If a bike frame is bad but has a tank that looks like it can be fixed it is good to save those parts because there are a lot of good bikes that are missing tanks that people want especially Sears Spaceliner tanks that are made of plastic that usually became faded then thrown out or broken.

2 speed red, yellow & blue band kickback hubs, 1970's chopper bikes like the Murray King Kat, some people go for bicycle branded for stores that are no longer in existance like Western Auto's Western Flyer bikes and that includes some of the 90's bikes which eventhough it wasn't long ago they are not that many of them plus they are from a end of an era where America still made bicycles, Woolworths/Woolco bike especially the muscle bikes, Otasco and a few more I can't think of.

Just about any bike is worth more as parts than scrap - assuming the parts aren't rusted/flaking chrome or otherwise destroyed.

Alot of road bikes are pretty junky, but If the bike has alloy wheels, or a tubing sticker (sticker on the seat tube saying what kind of steel the bike is made out of) that is usually a good indicator of a decent quality road bike. Those are probably the easiest things to look for. Occasionally you may see a very old road bike which has steel wheels, steel crank, etc. - but still have a tubing sticker - in that case it may still be a bike worth saving.

Oh and keep an eye out for any vintage alloy shell sturmey archer hub - they're worth a lot to the people who want them.

PeaceFrog....I would be interested in buying several (buy in bulk) if you have pictures. Let me know. Thanks!

If any chrome framed Huffys from the 50s/60s come in, send me a PM. If any have the spring loaded rear rack with the tail light in decent condition, I'd be happy to pay far more than scrap for the rack alone.

First, remember rust is okay, unless rusted through.

Any older bike that has a tank, rack, or headlight is probably worth saving. Those parts are hard to find.

Any bike that has a springfork should be saved. At least save the fork.

Any bike frame that has asjustment screws at the back axle is probably prewar or at least early postwar. Boys frames with the adjustment screws are always worth more.

Wheels with drum brakes are valuable.

Wheels with a rear hubs that have 3 red, 3 yellow, or 3 blue stripes are worth $50 each easy.

It seems like you could pull all the bikes during your work day, take a pic of them before you go home, then post the pics on this forum. Within a short time you would know what parts/bikes are desireable and which need crushed.

For us ratrod bike builders and collectors, you have the ultimate job! I predict you will become very popular on this forum. You are my new hero! 8) :wink:

The black frame you posted looks like a 20" Typhoon.

Gary

B607 said:
First, remember rust is okay, unless rusted through.

Any older bike that has a tank, rack, or headlight is probably worth saving. Those parts are hard to find.

Any bike that has a springfork should be saved. At least save the fork.

Any bike frame that has asjustment screws at the back axle is probably prewar or at least early postwar. Boys frames with the adjustment screws are always worth more.

Wheels with drum brakes are valuable.

Wheels with a rear hubs that have 3 red, 3 yellow, or 3 blue stripes are worth $50 each easy.

It seems like you could pull all the bikes during your work day, take a pic of them before you go home, then post the pics on this forum. Within a short time you would know what parts/bikes are desireable and which need crushed.

For us ratrod bike builders and collectors, you have the ultimate job! I predict you will become very popular on this forum. You are my new hero! 8) :wink:

The black frame you posted looks like a 20" Typhoon.

Gary

Thanks everyone this is probably the most helpful forum i've ever been on. Now i will have an idea on what to look for.

I found out that that stingray is a 63 stingray serial #A342107 on the rear dropout. I thought it was a Scrambler and posted it on the BMX museum to see what it was and they thought it was a mini scrambler becasue of the serial number location but knowone could figure out the serial number and another guy said we weren't lookin far back enough and it looks to be a 63 and it has a birthday January 25 1963. BUt it doesn't have original forks it has the scrambler fork that was so rusted and bent it had to be cut out. The 36 tooth sprocket looks to be original and the fram is in awesome condition. No dents nothing wrong at all. I started messing around with it last night before i knew that it was a stingray and put some bmx forks on it with the handlebars that are in the pic. Now not sure what to do with it. Sell it, wouldn't have a idea on value or restore it, not sure if that would be worth it for the $ to sink into it might not get it back, because i'm not that into the 20inch bikes like that.

A 63 stingray would be great, but they came out in June 63, so unless they kept a frame laying around the factory for that long, it probably isn't a Stingray, but it's still worth having.

Wildcat said:
A 63 stingray would be great, but they came out in June 63, so unless they kept a frame laying around the factory for that long, it probably isn't a Stingray, but it's still worth having.

What would it be if its not a stingray, thats the serial # on the dropout, it has all over it its kinda faded out and the headbadge has been removed and there is the little rivet holes in headtube. I can get some better pics of the serial number when i get off work and get it posted up.

Did schwinn have any other frames like the stingray that year?

thanks guys

Back