Bike Rack Confusion

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a new 2012 GMC full size pick-up (8 ft. box) and I want to haul 2 Electra Cruisers around the state on our vacation. I would prefer to stand the bikes straight up, and to not take off any of the wheels. What have you guys done in the past? Fabrication is an option, but I really didn't want to drill holes in my new pick-up box. Thanks, Gary

Here's what a friend of mine built for his truck

BikeRackSmall.jpg

do they still put stake holes in the rails of full size trucks?

back in the day we just whittled down a couple 2x4's, plugged them in, and ran a bungee around the seatpost and stake.

if needed we'd run a cable lock to something more substantial in the bed...

:)

Yes , they do still put stake holes in the top of the bed. Thanks for all the ideas. Between plywood, pvc conduit, and metal, I've go some ideas brewing. My new welder is screaming at me. Gary

The only thing is if you do my half a sheet of plywood trick, when the bikes are on it and its tied down to your front two tie holders ,it won't go anywhere. Then if you don't want it in there just pull it out....no bolts to remove. In seconds your truck is back to normal. Then if you get a hurricane you can use the plywood to cover one of the windows in your house. :lol:

Back