Bike lock recommendations

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always had good luck with the U-locks hard to pick and secure as Fort Knox and in my experience in breaking locks off of junker acquired bikes the U-locks are the hardest thing yet.

i always hear kryptonite u-locks are best ... i dont know if i heard it from the massive amounts of advertising though. i live in sort of a sleepy little town so a keyed cable lock made by master lock is all i use.

Which if you want to go old school, I use an old German pad lock from back in the day and a cable. It's so old no one knows how to work it.....and they no longer even make the key blanks....lol. But for security a U lock is best. Around here we don't have a lot of problems with bike theft.

I've started using my Kryptonite U-lock with two of those coiled up cables too. When I'm locking up my bike by itself I'll loop a cable through each wheel so no one will steal them and use the U-lock more like a big pad lock that can catch the frame too. It's a rarity though that I'm only locking up one bike when riding and more than likely I'm locking three or four together so the added two cable locks really come in handy and don't take up much extra room at all.

16759.jpg

64344.jpg

I just need one for quick hops to the store, this one looks like a winner.

New York Fahgettaboudit U-lock

997986.jpg

Croozer said:
I just need one for quick hops to the store, this one looks like a winner.

New York Fahgettaboudit U-lock
Amazon sell this one (6" x 4", no frame mount) for about $40 - $45. retails near $100. :mrgreen:

997986.jpg

I wondered the same thing. After looking at a few :shock: eyeopening :shock: videos on You-tube ( do a search for "lock picking" ), I found out that the choice of lock is not nearly as important as WHERE I decide to lock up my bike. If I cannot SEE my bike, it can be stolen!

That said, I use a large Master key lock and a thick cable. I usually click the lock to the bottom of my sprocket. That way, if the cable gets cut, someone is not going to ride off on it very fast, or if they want to pick the lock, they will be working on their knees to get at the lock. :wink:

Never thought of locking by the cassette. Good idea.

My fancy pants bike gets a kryptonite U, with orange bar. The model name has worn off.
My beater gets a kryptonite coil.
Fat chains with a good padlock should be pretty secure too. You can adjust the length as needed, which is nice.

Not all locks are that way but most are a bolt cutter's chomp away from a gone bike. I had one lock (it was a federal something or other....can't remember the name but had federal in it). I lost the key for it and beat it for 3 hours with a hammer, broke a set of bolt cutters, wasted a set of titanium drill bits trying to drill out the lock cylinder, and finally it took me 3 hours with the torch to get through it. It was a good one just don't loose the key.

Back