Bike Found After 50 Years

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes a cool story. Here is an older article about it.

016.jpg

So who's going to be the first guru to identify the make and model of it! :D

Great story (save for the typo in the second to last paragraph). Glad to see a true claim to it, when I first saw a photo of it on Facebook with a caption about a guy leaving it there and going off to war and never coming back, I was like *facepalm*

I knew that nobody going off to war would still be on a kid's bike like that.

Very cool.

outskirtscustoms said:
For one thing wouldn't the tree grow around it rather than lifting the bike 12 feet off the ground?

There's a late 30's Ford sedan up in a big oak tree like that here locally, so its not unheard of.

Rat Pilot said:
outskirtscustoms said:
For one thing wouldn't the tree grow around it rather than lifting the bike 12 feet off the ground?

There's a late 30's Ford sedan up in a big oak tree like that here locally, so its not unheard of.
Really? Was it put there or did the tree lift it? How bad of shape is it in? I got a chainsaw and a love for rat rods. :mrgreen:

Worst one I have seen was my tandem with a branch in the seat.

PB290153.jpg

I had a house one time with a steel headboard for a bed imbedded in the tree. Not as cool, but pretty interesting. I'd love to have the bike/tree in my yard, talk about lawn art! 8)

outskirtscustoms said:
Rat Pilot said:
outskirtscustoms said:

Really? Was it put there or did the tree lift it? How bad of shape is it in? I got a chainsaw and a love for rat rods. :mrgreen:

Worst one I have seen was my tandem with a branch in the seat.

PB290153.jpg

No, it grew like that. The car is in horrible shape - people have been shooting that car for 40 years probably. It was was pretty much stripped when it was parked many years ago.

yoothgeye said:
Great story (save for the typo in the second to last paragraph). Glad to see a true claim to it, when I first saw a photo of it on Facebook with a caption about a guy leaving it there and going off to war and never coming back, I was like *facepalm*

I knew that nobody going off to war would still be on a kid's bike like that.

Very cool.
Yeah I got so tired of seeing that I altered that photo.
417076_3025715255136_640482571_n_zps04b08c9b.jpg

The last big batch of bikes I got I found one of the bikes had a tree growing thru a hole in the sprocket needless to say I didnt get that one. I cant wait to see what it looks like in a few years

I have a '58 Hawthorne that a friend acquired while doing land clearing. It was well inside a tree, about 12 feet up. The tree was cut down, and he cut out the bike, and gave it to me. It's now running, and in decent working order. We never use it, but my wife likes to keep it, because of its life story.

Trees don't lift anything, ever. How many trees have you seen with fencing nailed to them? Have you ever seen a fence that ended up 10' up nailed to the side of a tree? Noooo! The bike was lifted up and placed in a crotch by someone. Gary

There's been a thread or two about it here before. Just a kid's sidewalk bike from the 50s, with no real value. In fact, I just saw the story recycled on facebook this week! :roll: -Adam

Latest posts

Back