Bike for me - '57 Hornet Rat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the bike responsible for my newest hobby. Inherited Dad's 'ol '57 Schwinn Hornet and wanted to make it my own. As you can see, Dad already had it flat-tracked by taking off the original tank, fenders, racks, etc. and flipped the handle bars. Also had a 'custom' blue paint job(looked like house paint). Anyway, here's a before pic with some progression pics along the way. Still not really done, but done for now.

Thanks for sharing the knowledge to help me along the way...

Before:
bike4.jpg

My initial "grand plan" to be dubbed Hotdoggin':
bikepaint5.jpg

Disassembly:
P3090359B.jpg

Frame prep:
bike8.jpg

Frame prepII:
P4220385B.jpg

Early mock up:
bike9.jpg

Lookin' for some lovin':
P6290419B.jpg

Starting to take shape:
P7080440B.jpg

Ready to roll in time for vacation:
P7080442B.jpg

HD

I like this bike man, It is going to be very nice looking when it is done.

ricksterr1221 said:
It is going to be very nice looking when it is done.

That's for sure. I particularly like the chainguard and the truss rod forks.

This bike has to be blue. Have you noticed how everything else in the photos is colour coordinated? The tools, the straps, the ladder, the bottled water, the recycling bin, the chair(?)...

-Mp

I just noticed the color thing when you said it, That is funny.

Thanks guys.

Multi, Very funny observation. I didn't particularly notice but after I went back and looked, I literally laughed out loud. Blue is my favorite color, but I was primarily going that direction due to the New Holland blue I was going to use in honor of my affection for blue tractors.

If I ever pull off my proposed paint scheme, I'll have Kev to thank for it. Great tutorials...

Catch you later,
Rich

Latest posts

Back