big weight difference b/t steel vs. aluminum frame...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello,

just wondering if anyone knows if there's a big weight difference between the steel '05 electra ghostrider cruiser and the current aluminum one. saw a steel framed one for sale online but don't know if it's worth it. what do you guys all think. any '05 electra ghostrider owner out there?

thanks.

Unless my past research is wrong, what you're looking at in not a 2005 "Ghostrider", but instead a 2005 "Jeremy". The Jeremy looks like it would be an early version of a Ghostrider, but was single speed, whereas the current Ghostrider is 3sp. I've seen FS ads for what appears to be a Jeremy, and the sellers are calling them Ghostriders. I've also seen ads for Jeremy's, which look the same. I'm thinking the Jeremy was not marked with the model name, and sellers are assuming they are early Ghostrider's, based on the looks.

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?ItemID=93325&Type=bike

Now, if you look at the actual 2005 Ghostrider, it looks more like an Electra "Rat Rod".

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?ItemID=93319&Type=bike

With that out of the way, let's move on to the weight difference. Not only did the older Electra "chopper" looking bikes use steel frames, the seatpost and crankset were also steel, and the new ones are alloy parts.

I own a 2009 Rat Fink (built like a current Ghostrider), and it weighs 39 lbs. I had asked another member, here, if he could weigh his 1st gen Rat Fink (built like the Jeremy, but with 3sp), and I was told it weighed 46 lbs.

So, that's a 7 lb difference between the 1st and 2nd gen finks, which should give you an approximate answer to you question. Since the 2005 Jeremy (?) is only single speed, you can figure the weight difference should be a little bit less.

I let my cuzz ride my new Fink and he commented on how light it was for such a big bike.

I really like that alum. frame.

Rooski: Thanx for the info concerning the Jeremy/Ghostrider, I plan to pick up a GR and that info will come in handy.

thanks for the reply. i actually asked the seller and she got it 4 years ago, so i guess it's a '06. she's offering it for $300. do you guys think this is a good deal for the steel frame one?

kleap said:
thanks for the reply. i actually asked the seller and she got it 4 years ago, so i guess it's a '06. she's offering it for $280. do you guys think this is a good deal for the steel frame one?

Considering that a new one lists for $750 I would say its definitely worth a look.

kleap said:
thanks for the reply. i actually asked the seller and she got it 4 years ago, so i guess it's a '06. she's offering it for $280. do you guys think this is a good deal for the steel frame one?

Is the bike you're looking at a single speed, like a Jeremy? I've seen them is SoCal usually listing from 250 to 300. If it's in nice condition, I would say 280 is in the fair range, although personally, I'd love to score one for closer to 200, and install a geared hub.

I've been thinking about picking up a 1st gen Rat Fink, since I occasionally see then selling for some good prices, but the extra weight of the steel kind off turns me off. Plus, I prefer the looks of the newer ones. I've more been focusing on finding an affordable Ghostrider.

BTW, It appears the Aluminum Ghostrider started with the 07 model.

It sounds like a reasonable deal, but I would wait and go for a 3-speed aluminum Ghostrider.

http://www.factorycruiser.com/images/El ... der_3v.jpg

Compared to my heavy steel Basman my Ghostrider is lightning fast, like a dragracer compares to a tanker :lol: but I guess it's all about how you want to ride. Nothing wrong with low speed cruisin' 8)

Ace said:
Compared to my heavy steel Basman my Ghostrider is lightning fast, like a dragracer compares to a tanker :lol: but I guess it's all about how you want to ride. Nothing wrong with low speed cruisin' 8)

I have to agree. My 09 RF is my fastest and most efficient cruiser I have. It doesn't feel like I'm lugging around a big piece of hardware. While riding, It almost feels like it's not even there, even on inclines. At 39 lbs, it's not in the lightweight category, but I think the conbination of efficient geometry, long crank and multiple gears, help to make it "ride lighter". It's like a "crotch rocket", compared to my Schwinns.

bikelg.jpg

this is the one that i was looking at. i'm a girl so i don't mind the leopard, the pink fink is too expensive for me. though i think my husband will probably want the bike and will change out all the leopard. :D

kleap said:
bikelg.jpg

this is the one that i was looking at. i'm a girl so i don't mind the leopard, the pink fink is too expensive for me. though i think my husband will probably want the bike and will change out all the leopard. :D

Oh, OK. That's the one in the Oxnard/Ventura area. I had asked the seller if the bike actually was labeled "Ghostrider", and mentioned it might be a Jeremy, and he/she told me he/she wasn't to sure what it was.

Regardless of what it is, it is a nice bike, but it's been listed for awhile, now, and it hasn't moved at 300. Most Electra's that are priced "good" usually sell very quickly. If it was a newer model Ghostrider listed at 300, it would sell in a matter of minutes. I know, because I would buy it in a heartbeat and have no problem driving from Riverside to Oxnard to pick it up.

That is a single speed bike that weighs around 45 lbs, so if your riding area is flat, you should be ok with it. At $280, you would have to like it enough to want to pay that price. It might be tough to break even if you all of a sudden decided to resell it. Maybe ask if he/she will take 250, or maybe even less, especially since you're already considering the additional cost of swapping some parts. It has been on the market, for a bit, so maybe the seller will budge, some more. A few days back, I was actually considering offering the seller 200, considering my distance, but even then I'm still not to sure about getting one with the steel frame. I'm used to an aluminum one, and If I noticed the weight difference, I'd probably be inclined to not want to ride the heavier one, much.

On the other hand, some people prefer steel frames, because they are much more forgiving, as far as flexing, and can actually feel to ride smother. Aluminum frames are very stiff, and can make for a harsher ride over the bumps. Although, the 3" tires really help to smooth things out. Additionally, too much flex in a frame can actually rob power from your pedal strokes, so a really stiff bike can sometimes feel more efficient.

Rooski said:
I have to agree. My 09 RF is my fastest and most efficient cruiser I have. It doesn't feel like I'm lugging around a big piece of hardware. While riding, It almost feels like it's not even there, even on inclines. At 39 lbs, it's not in the lightweight category, but I think the conbination of efficient geometry, long crank and multiple gears, help to make it "ride lighter". It's like a "crotch rocket", compared to my Schwinns.

Well said, it feels like the bike is shot from under your *** 8)

I used to own a steel RatRod = '05 Ghostrider, but wouldn't know where I would have been without the 3-speed gears...it's a heavy bike to push forward, and I expect the Jeremy to be the same without gears. Having said that, it is good exercise. :lol:

Ace said:
Well said, it feels like the bike is shot from under your *** 8)

Exactly! And I found the proper seat height on these is more critical for best power transfer, than on typical cruisers. Even dropping it 1", I feel the difference. I think the guys who ride their seats as low as possible, to look cooler, are the same guys that say these bikes aren't good for long rides.

After a ride on the RF, my other cruisers feel like I'm always riding uphill. I'm always spinning in lower gears, whereas on the RF, I'm always grinding in a higher gear, and always getting somewhere faster. I actually find my RF to be overall geared too low.

I guess I'm a "semi-recumbent" convert.

Back