Big guy bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
outskirtscustoms said:
How do you tell the difference between the king size and regular? what do you look for? I have several Schwinns and think one might be a bit bigger than the rest.

LMK what you find. I'm interested if you decide to sell it :mrgreen:

Don't worry! We love all you little guys too. :lol:[/quote]
I don't! They get to ride anything they want and look cool. I look like I'm riding a clown bike most of the time :x[/quote]

I'm short but wide, so no matter what i ride I still look funny! lol :lol:

outskirtscustoms said:
How do you tell the difference between the king size and regular? what do you look for? I have several Schwinns and think one might be a bit bigger than the rest.

the easiest thing to notice is the head tube is taller, the top tube is also longer from the head tube to the seat tube.

http://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_1961 ... ksamb.html

Why not buy an old beat up Electra and customize it? I'm 6'4" and they're pretty much the most comfortable bikes I've ridden. There should be tons of them for sale cheap in So Cal.

they have an oversized beach cruiser I think i saw it on ebay ... like a 33 inch tire was crazy looking
I will try to find it and send you the link.. they it was from NC

fordmike65 said:
It's hard being a big guy at 6'4" and not looking strange on most bikes. I'd like to find an older bike to build a real "rat" with or even just keep it original. I'm just not sure what to look for. I don't know what's out there that would fit me well. I haven't been able to actually ride an older bike, but I can say that just about any new bike at department stores & bike shops are not comfortable at all. No matter how the seat & bar is adjusted, I feel cramped. The only bikes I feel good on are the big man cruisers, such as some offered by Phat,Firmstrong,Electra,etc. Not diggin' those. Too plain,no character really. Just not my thing. Anyone else have this problem or have an idea what might work for me? Thanks guys.

Coker Monster Cruiser 36" tires

monstercruiser640x515.jpg

I think it has come up before,but you could build your own custom frame or add some length to an existing frame.
I took the first option (I'm 6'4" too),together with a "welder-friend". I admit ,it's a bit overdone. But it handles great.

wimpy said:
I think it has come up before,but you could build your own custom frame or add some length to an existing frame.
I took the first option (I'm 6'4" too),together with a "welder-friend". I admit ,it's a bit overdone. But it handles great.

i did the same when i tried making bikes for my family. found a doable design on the 'net and played with sizes as i needed

smallest and longest of them. the larger one is for a brother who's 6'5'. at 5'11" i can barely ride it.

Picture080-1.jpg

fordmike65 said:
GameBent said:
Electra introduced a 'tall' version of their Cruiser 1 this year. It's supposed to be for riders over 6ft tall, but I'm unsure of the specs.
http://www.electrabike.com/Bikes/cruiser-cruiser1-bikes-mens

Yeah, I saw that one too. The one that was in my price range was the Firmstrong Chief. Offered in a 3spd & a "pedal-forward" design. Very comfortable to ride. Just that plain frame. Not to mention made in China & very cheap looking components & chrome. It does however get pretty good reviews.Coulda got it locally for $219 w/3spd.

You can get a nice Electra with pedal-forward design (Electra invented and patented pedal-forward) on Craigslist for the same price, and they are far superior to Firmstrong. Firmstrong bikes are basically cheap Wal-Mart bikes with 3-piece cranks. I regularly see Electra 3-speeds in SoCal for $200-$250. If you go the used route, make sure you get an Electra with pedal-forward, which was introduced around 2005.
Also, the Electra RatFink and Ghostrider are big, stretched out choppers for taller riders, but they aren't cheap! Put a laid-back seatpost on one of those and you're set! I'm 6 feet tall and love my Ghostrider!

GR%20final.jpg

Go to http://www.custommotoredbicycles.com and check out the Long Beach Cruiser (50ish inch wheelbase, made for 'big guys'); talk to Lynn, she knows her stuff. Im not as big as you, but that bike has been calling my name. I have a '99ish Dyno Deuce that fits me (6'1" x 210) pretty good, though I think you still might feel a little tight on it (kinda like me on a Huffy Cranbrook).
You may not like the style, but the Dyno/KK Roadster might work without a complete custom frame build; then there is the Bassman which might be the ne plus ultra for you (for way more money).

this one is made from extra stuff laying about.. all kinds of odds and ends.. but nice ride
will fit ya ...
car123.jpg

Very nice rides everyone! I'm just not feeling the stretch bikes. Maybe slightly stretching a regular frame might work for me though.

Old steel large frame road bikes are probably the easiest/cheapest option for somebody bigger than 6'2". Some can handle fairly large tires on 700 rims. Swap out the maes bend for a upright touring bar.

outback97 said:
Why not buy an old beat up Electra and customize it? I'm 6'4" and they're pretty much the most comfortable bikes I've ridden. There should be tons of them for sale cheap in So Cal.

Ya, I did this with a regular frame 2007 Electra Cruiser 1 and I am 6'2". The theme I ran with looks "vintage", most comfortable cruiser I have ridden. When you are looking for a Electra C1 bike/frame make sure it is 2005 or newer so you get the foot forward geometry. Here what I did:

Complete1s.jpg

I picked this up pretty cheap off CL yesterday. It seems to fit me pretty well. I'm still in the process of picking up a prewar men's framed Colson. Just gotta wait for my income tax return to get here. That's what I get for waiting 'til the last minute to file :roll: .

PHONEPICS467.jpg

PHONEPICS466.jpg

Back