Bicycle Audio

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've probably discussed this before but anyway...

I'm determined to build some sort of bicycle audio system probably 12v on a trailer.
I think we've determined a "deep cycle" battery would be best. Someone here said they used a motorcycle battery. I'm wondering how long that holds up both during use and being recharged over time. A smaller battery would sure be nice. I'm also wondering about the batteries that power the kids electric cars. I think some of them are 12v.

Also wondering about everything (speakers, battery and amp) all being in on box/closure, Does each speaker need it's own space?

Not planning on building a high end set up just something that serves the purpose. Volume in an outdoor setting.

I know you are going for low weight but I think you should probably get a Marine or RV deep cycle battery. They are designed to be drained down and recharged over and over. They do a good job of delivering decent power even when drained down.

just my $0.02

Deep cycles are about the size of a larger car battery. I had 6 in my lowrider. You can use a motorcycle battery like in the "Fully Custom Trike" I posted and yes you can use the tiny batteries in the powerwheel's toys..as far as each speaker needing it's own space, if you are gonna use say 6x9's or 5 1/2's it is not mandatory..If you are gonna use a car head unit then an amp isn't needed as long as it is rated at 40 to 45 watts per channel.

What about a subwoofer in the same space/box as the other speakers? I'm thinking 2 two or three way speakers and a subwoofer.
I plan on using an Ipod and an amp.
Would be nice to come up with some kind of closure that I don't have to build. Maybe something plastic and waterproof. Don't really want to make a box out of wood.

It really depends on how long you want to run the iPod and Amplifier. The amp is the big draw obviously. I'm more a mechanical guy than electrical, though. I would look for a deep cycle high amp-hour battery.

Here's a site I've used in the past: http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm

so say you want to use a 1000W amplifier. it will draw roughly 80 amps (1000W/12V). say you plan to party for 5 hours. 5x80=400 amp-hours.

something you might think about also to cut down weight is only using one full range speaker. your tunes would all be mono but ill bet ya wouldnt even be able tell the difference - especially if it were on a trialer behind you. 8" and 10" full range speaker can sound pretty good. i would canabileze a shelf system if were to do it, and just use the batteries that they use. if ya just ran a radio they'd last plenty long, and a cd player doesnt drain all tha much more juice.
fast eddie

CCR said:
howsabout just hooking an old boombox up to an mp3 player
I tried that but the boombox I had didn't put out the volume I want. I want something loud enough that others in a group ride can hear. Also for parades. I still may end up doing the boombox if I don't come up with something else in time.

If you have the space, 6x9's would work best, and be plenty loud.

Plus you can get a pair of self contained, carpeted boxes for cheap, which will make even cheapo speakers sound good. If you want a subwoofer, You will need around a half cubic foot volume box for a 8" sub. As far as amp... Probably need a 4 channel. Run the 6x9's on the r/f and l/f channels, and bridge the rear channels for the subwoofer output.

If you want a 8" sub, I have a nice Phoenix Gold to donate to the project.

and... Probably waaay more than you need but I have a Phoenix Gold 1200.1 subwoofer amp and a 4 channel 600.4.

If you need help, Im right around the corner :mrgreen:

Back