best way to change gear ratio on Onyx?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought an Onyx 29er last february. And i was wondering what would be the best way to change the ratio? its great for riding on the flat and by myself. But I live in a hilly neighborhood and usually am pulling my 2 year old son in his trailer. Is it as simple as changing the sprockets or is it more involed? Im new to the bike world, but am mechanically inclined. . . ish. Thanks

easiest thing to do is replace the hub sprocket, swap it out for a bigger tooth count to make hills easier. Remove rear wheel, usually a snap ring holding the sprocket/dust cover on, may have to play with the chain if you go much bigger but it's usually not a big deal.

Ok. Thank you. I was thinking that was it. Just needed an expert to cconfirm.

If you do a bigger sprocket... you may need to add a link or two in your chain...all depends on the rear dropout on the Onyx

I am no fan of putting on a bigger rear sprocket. I get much better results swapping to a small er front. If you take off a front 44t and replace with a 36t you will see a world of difference. I have tried the larger rear trick and never made enough difference to say so.

I think I'd prefer changing the front too. I stopped at two bike shops and they both said to swap the rear.

Latest posts

Back