Best place to go on vacation and take the cruisers?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might plan a little trip this fall, maybe in the spring, and I want to be able to take the bikes. I live in Louisville, KY and would like to keep it in driving distance of about 7-8 hours or so.

Beach (or near) riding, pub crawling, site seeing on the bike... up for whatever. I'm 32 and my girlfriend is 30, no kids and not yet married.

Where should I go?

True, but i want some "cool" areas and places to ride.

Would just like to go someplace really bike friendly with good scenary.

Thinking maybe Savannah, GA. Opinions?

Down around the south end of the Grand Strand in SC (Pawley's Island, Murrells Inlet) there's a new paved bike trail that looks really nice. It's called the Waccamaw Neck Bikeway. I plan to check it out in December. You'd be right in the middle of some nice vacation areas, close to Georgetown, SC, which is a GREAT little historic town to bike in, and about 90 minutes from Charleston. Of course, you'd also be near the over-the-top tourist mecca of Myrtle Beach, should you feel the need for screen printed tee shirts, Elvis impersonators, and henna tattoos. Come to think of it, there's a new boardwalk in Myrtle Beach that's pretty awesome, and probably bike friendly as well.

my favorite place of all time, Myrtle Beach SC. you can ride for miles and miles enjoying the view. we were up there for a week and didnt use the truck (my dads diesel guzzling f250) once! the only thing that sucked was i got a sand spur in my tire the last afternoon we were there. Darn nature! :wink:

Thanks for the ideas folks... looks like a New Years Eve ski trip will push this trip to the spring, but i look forward to it.

Savannah is a favorite of me and my girl's. I haven't seen many people bicycling there the two times I was there, but the city is perfect for cycling. So many beautiful parks and great scenery, and lots of pubs and restaurants.

i'd say the same for savannah. i went down there a handful of times for national guard (they have, or at least had, a training base down there). i never had a bike with me, but i did like the riverwalk area. there's a pretty nice beach further out, and various marina areas.

i liked it. i haven't done a lot of traveling, but if i won a lottery or something and could live where i wanted, it'll be at or near the top of my list. it's kind of like louisville. like if old louisville were a bigger area of the city, and more water based. and warmer.

I found a link online for a company that puts on bike tours through Savannah. You can use a bike they have or bring your own. Seems like that would be a good first day thing... just to see how to get around and all.

My whole family is around the Louisville area, so I doubt I will ever move too far, but if I do, it would have to be AWAY from the humidity.

Thanks for all of the compliments about Savannah. I am a native and currently live in the heart of the Historic District. Savannah is a very bike friendly town. Part of that is helped by the Savannah Bicycle Campaign. You just missed the Midnight Garden Ride with about 700 bikes through downtown (see photos in my RRB6 BEER RUN journal). They also have a fairly big Earth Day ride in April with about 300-500 bikes. Downtown is perfect for cruising from square to square or pub to pub. There is also a nice Rails To Trails out near Fort Pulaski on the way to Tybee Island beach.

The Savannah Music Festival is nice (I forget the timing of it). In the Spring all of the Azaleas are in bloom and there are a couple of different Tour of Homes that occur along with the NOGS Hidden Garden Tour. These are nice if you want to see what these restored old house look like inside or if you want to see the hidden courtyard gardens that are throughout the Historic District. There is every type of tour you can think of on any given day. Walking, carriage, trolley, bus, pedicab, segway,,,,,,ghost, pub crawl, architecture, food, movie,,,,,

Saint Patrick's Day is a blast, but VERY rowdy. Our parade is second only to NYC and our population doubles that day.
Metro Savannah is only about 300,000 people, but we had over 9 million tourists last year.

Y'all come on down and ride a spell.

Thanks for the info Kingfish... it has been on my list for a while... especially since I started riding.

Back