best method for removing surface rust on painted surfaces

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just bought a beach cruiser that has several rust spots on the painted surfaces, eg around bolts,on the carriers, etc. I have used naval jelly for removing rust on chrome parts of other bikes with great success but it tends to wreck paint on bikes. Just wondering what would work best. I really want to save the original paint on the bike. Thanks

I just finished a battle with my rust/oxidization and paint on the '59 Jaguar.

Oxalic Acid was the best for rust. You can soak parts in there and it reacts with the rust molecules and removes them, while leaving everything else. I put a chainguard in there and it worked great, but it did 'thin' the paint a little. Maybe not the best solution to use, and it would need to be a big bath for a frame anyway.

Maybe a little WD-40 and steel/brass wool (0000 wool), but that will soon strip down to the paint and remove that as well. I use that for more agressive polishing/stripping/

You could try just a rag and mild polishing compound (one with a little abrasive in it) used for cars. That might be the trick to get some light layers off.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I had never heard of Bar Keepers Friend before. Thanks. I looked it up on their website. Looks like it comes as a powder or a liquid. Which would be best for this use? It seems like the powder would be more abrasive.

i use bar keepers friend powder on rusty chrome and it works awsome ....with a brass bruss of 0000 steel wool !!!! never used it on paint ...if u use it on oaint id try a small spot 2 see how it works !!!!

I would use the powder. Either one will work. The key is the toothbrush. You can use just about any abrasive cleaner, but ones with bleach might not be a good idea. Baking soda would probably even work as long as you washed it off afterwards.

Agree ^

Any automotive compounds,cleaners,polishes and wax will work on a bicycle.

I prefer Mothers brand.

Actually.... a lot of cleansers use oxalic acid and a mild abrasive to work their magic. Plain old "Comet" works like a charm, as do a lot of cleaners. None of this is Rocket Surgery..... my personal technique is to use whatever I have under the sink.

Rubbing Compound may be too harsh and remove the paint.

Polishing Compound wont cut as hard.

Use a clean damp rag if you do this.

Latest posts

Back