Best frame for a kids RatRod?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sons birthday is in November, and I thought it was about time to include him in on a build. He'll be 8 in November.

Not doing anything extremely wild/low/chopped/or stretched, but something that stands apart. Should I go with a 20" frame or a 24" frame as a starting point? Any specific suggestions (vintage from eBay or new from custom builder/dealer) on what to get?

Also, if ya got any pictures of builds you've done for your kids (or anyones elses kids!), please post 'em up! I'm always searching for new ideas!

Thanks much!
Spicy

Spicy McHaggis said:
My sons birthday is in November, and I thought it was about time to include him in on a build. He'll be 8 in November.

Not doing anything extremely wild/low/chopped/or stretched, but something that stands apart. Should I go with a 20" frame or a 24" frame as a starting point? Any specific suggestions (vintage from eBay or new from custom builder/dealer) on what to get?

Also, if ya got any pictures of builds you've done for your kids (or anyones elses kids!), please post 'em up! I'm always searching for new ideas!

Thanks much!
Spicy

I'd say something along the lines of a stingray re-pop or any 70's muscle bike.
here's one a guy here did.

S5032110.jpg

i've got this AMF Jr Roadmaster that i was gonna fix up and then sell.. its a 20" if you do get interested in it.. quite a project it would be

4878564536_d307c1dc34_z.jpg

kids bikes, well where do you wanna start? :)
IMG_0135-1.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0131.jpg

IMG_0121.jpg

IMG_0120-1.jpg

and there just canadian muscle bikes. :)

you still have all the typical tank bikes/ tank style bikes to choose from. :)
15p1smt.jpg

I don't think theres a vintage kids bicycle out there there that wouldn't make for a good rat rod.
It's all about your creativity.
Case in point (although not a kids bike) check out the stella bread racer from the rrbbo5!
That's darn ratty and makes an otherwise ugly frigg'n bike desirable. :)

Critter1 said:
BMX frames can rat out nicely..
IMG_7180R.jpg

I agree with that ( nice example ). Paint, tires, seat, and bars make a great package.

I know you said you wanted to keep it simple but I did a small quickie build for two brothers, 7 and 8, this summer and they loved them. viewtopic.php?f=21&t=29174 .
They were smaller wheeled but you can do it with 20" wheels.

Good luck with your build.
Graylock

if hes only 8 id start him with a 20"(24" when hes about 5').....dont need any particular type of frame to make something cool.......ask his opinions and go from there
heres one i did for my boy by sectioning a 26" girls frame
20orlessfinalpics002-1.jpg

and if youre interested HERES the build...
make sure you keep him involved in the build even if its just airing up the tires(mine spends more time playing with tools and listening to music but at least hes out in the shop with me and thats a start :wink: )

i agree with gold street, go thru the gallery and let him show you what HE likes. the little dude's gotta have his own style 8) .i agree also theres alot of bmx's out there just waitin. and i had a jr roadmaster wheni was a kid, only mine was blue.

Back