Best for cleaning/degreasing a frame?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm got my project bike completely taken down to frame and components now. The 60 year old paint isn't bad, and I think a 200-300 grit sanding and then primer will set it up nicely for color coats. I'd like to get it the accumulated grime and grease off it before I sand, and then again of course before priming. I've used the search engine and not come up with what I'm looking for in a recommendation. What's the wisdom here as to the "best" products or options for taking the crud off before sanding? Lacquer thinner prior to primer?

Also, in the "prime over paint" thread, it seems that regular primer would be ok here and no need for an etching primer as it's not going on over bare metal. Is that right?

Thanks,

Cliff

There are several products you could use if it is really grease covered I would use Simple Green or a similar degreaser. If it is just dirty there is a product called Krud Kutter that works really well for general cleaning it is easy to safe and biodegradable, so no need to worry about it causing damage to the lawn or any risk of it washing down the drain. I would suggest using a spray bottle to apply the cleaner along with a brown/red scotch brite pad to scrub the parts. The scotch brite will help to dull the finish so you won't have to sand as much too. Either cleaner should be safe on chrome parts as long as it doesn't set on it for any extended period of time but avoid using the scotch brite on any chrome as it will really screw up the shine. Thats my two cents hope it helps.

Grease lightning is the best and fastest thing I have used, that and an assortment of tooth and scrub brushes. Stuff works amazing.

Said it a bunch o times, and I will keep on saying it. Regular ol Mineral spirits, its readily available at just about any hardware or home store, works on just about any greasy residue. It will even remove road tar with ease. :wink: Later & PEACE!!!!

I use a product a friend that paints cars told me about. It is called Acryli-Clean DX 330 wax and grease remover. Made by PPG and you can get it at any auto paint supply store. Gary

KJV said:
someguy83 said:
KJV said:
oven cleaner. :mrgreen:
if left on too long it will strip the paint tho (just fyi)
really ?
i may have to try that.
i usually leave it on 15 minutes.
how long should i leave on to
strip the paint?beats getting soda
everywhere when blasting. :mrgreen:

It all depends on the paint. Some come off in a matter of minutes (15 or less) others take longer. I remember back in the day when my dad and I stripped the paint off the motor in his five window coupe. Took about 15 minutes and was bubbling up. Remember though that you need to work in a well ventilated area and wear gloves or it WILL burn you. I found a wire wheel worked well when stripping my Dayton (didn't scar up the metal either). But this post is about cleaning as far as the wax and grease remover yes it does work. I am familiar with it but again be sure to use safety precautions when using solvents like this. Have plenty of ventilation (cross ventilation is best), wear gloves and safety glasses. I work with these chemicals all the time and do not always recomend some of these chemicals to the do it yourselfers. If you can't buy it at your local grocery store then you need to ask questions from people that do use it all the time. All the previous methods are good, don't get me wrong but I want to make sure people use these properly.
Alan Thede Jr
Spray Technician
Working with industrial chemicals for 8 years and plan on many more!

thanx for your input and concern.you may have just saved someones fingers, or eyes! always good to hear from the pros. 8)

Back