Bendix stick shifter question...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I've been looking at some Bendix stick shifters, I'd like to use with a Nexxus 3 speed hub.
What I'm finding are the 5 speed shifters are a bit more plentiful (and even cheaper!) for some reason.
My question is two part, first are the 3 and 5 speed shifters the same with just a decal change or are they indexed at all on the shifter?
Two, in looking at using this with a Nexxus am I looking at something with a lot of complexity or just a matter of making sure I get the shift cable the correct length?

Thanks
Mike

I'd like to know more about this as well; just got a Bendix 3 speed stick shifter for the same purpose.

And I feel like an idiot for this, but it isn't obvious to me how to attach the cable either.

Can you post a photo of the shifters you are talking about? That would help.
I know that some 5 speed shifters are friction based rather than indexed with clicks. I used a 5 speed for my Nexus 7 on Flexy. It just meant that I had to shift until I felt the gear fall into place rather than shift to the next stop.
If the shifter is indexed, you just have to make sure that the indexed stops match up with the needed cable pull of the individual gears.

It's possible to use a shifter not indexed to your internal hub, but you can damage your gears if you're not careful.
Well it is for a cruiser bike so I don't plan on slamming the gears on a quarter mile drag race;)

Can you post a photo of the shifters you are talking about? That would help.
I know that some 5 speed shifters are friction based rather than indexed with clicks. I used a 5 speed for my Nexus 7 on Flexy. It just meant that I had to shift until I felt the gear fall into place rather than shift to the next stop.
If the shifter is indexed, you just have to make sure that the indexed stops match up with the needed cable pull of the individual gears.

I'm actually looking at a couple, the main one I like is a Simplex, top tube mount. 5 speed is like $20 and the 3 speed is like $45. They both look exactly alike, baseball diamond shaped housing and cable tube running off the back... if that helps at all?

If the Simplex shifter your looking at is like this first one pictured, it is an indexed shifter. I could only catch 4 of my 5 gears. I was using a Shimano Eagle derailer.
So, I bought the second shifter below and it worked a lot better. You can use it on 3 or 5 speeds as you just select where it stays in gear and leave it. You don't have to but it is recommended you use an overload tube with it. The Simplex has an overload tube built in.
1107141834.jpg

11121416491.jpg

Back