Bendix Stick Shift QUESTION?????

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingfish254

BUILD COOL BIKES AND HAVE FUN!!
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
130   0   0
Does anyone know how to connect the shifter cable to these Bendix Stick Shifters? Most shifters need some stop at the shifter end to hold the cable. Does this one not require that? Do I just cut the cable clean and clamp it under the copperish color collar?

1658598630370.png
20220723_132751.jpg
20220723_132804.jpg
20220723_132815.jpg

Attachments

• 20220723_132901.jpg
    20220723_132901.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 0
Just loosen a screw & clamp the cable under the clip.

The cable doesn’t need any kind of an end. They’re assuming you’ve got the Sturmey-archer clip on the other end already, and you’ve shortened your cable from the handlebars back to the top tube.

I had one of those right from the pages of Archie. It was chrome plated on the cover though. I think the cover might’ve been chromed plastic.

It was 1967 so it’s hard to remember exactly.

Complete guess with zero actual knowledge applied...but, the groove in the clip is consuming my attention. Have you removed that screw to see if there is a cable sized hole through it?

If not, does the groove form a bump on the other side...if so, I would say that confirms that a half wrap and tightened down was the intent.

Grooves just don't exist without a reason...do they?
:bigsmile:

I don’t think there’s a hole because that taps right into the shifter handle. There’s no nut on the other side to tighten.

Put the cable around the screw in a 180 so it goes through the clip twice, and tighten the screw

Many thanks to The Kingfish for posting these terrific photos.

I’ve been working on an idea for a custom shifter, and I had not looked at my old Archie shifter in 50 some years.

I completely forgot and how they were constructed until I looked at the pictures.

Just loosen a screw & clamp the cable under the clip.

The cable doesn’t need any kind of an end. They’re assuming you’ve got the Sturmey-archer clip on the other end already, and you’ve shortened your cable from the handlebars back to the top tube.

I had one of those right from the pages of Archie. It was chrome plated on the cover though. I think the cover might’ve been chromed plastic.

It was 1967 so it’s hard to remember exactly.

Thanks, the cable goes under the clamp and loops around it. This shifter will work with any 3 speed, not just SturmeyArcher. It's cool that you had one on your bike. These are aftermarket shifters and I don't these models were stock on any muscle bikes that I am aware of.

Well of course the same thing would apply to any shifter cable that had a factory crimped end at the hub.

You would never cut that end off.

Mine either came from the Schwinn store in Duluth or Goldfine’s department store, which sold all kinds of aftermarket bike parts.

Until I bought that I had a ball from some kids game on a wooden dowel with a screw that went through my sissy bar, and I put a spring on there to keep tension on the thing so it would stay where I put it.

Yours has the same spring arrangement, but with a big rivet that holds it to the base and the clamp.

But mine was never strong enough to stay in first gear when I released tension from the pedals and it would automatically slip up to second. It was a totally unsatisfactory POS and of course the Bendix was terrific.

Latest posts

Back