bendix red band questions

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a red band 2 speed hub I rebuilt and laced into a wheel. it brakes well and shifts well but every once in a while it feels and sounds like the chain is out of line or too tight (kind of a rough feel at the pedals) but if i shift it that goes away. Also sometimes the cranks will go about half a turn when i go into low gear instead of engaging after about a quarter crank or so. what should i check? when I checked it before I laced it the index spring looked like it was working well and aligning right with the slots. I know parts are few and far between so hopefully its something that can be fixed instead of needing replacement

*Binding, grinding, cracking or rubbing noise...

I would first check the chain and make sure it has a bit of slack. Kickbacks do not like the chain too tight.

When you mount a kickback wheel on your frame, it is important that you tighten the axle nuts first, then tighten the brake arm last. If you tighten the brake arm first it can put the internal parts in a bind when you tighten the axle nuts.

Check and see if either dust cap is bent.

Make sure the axle is not bent.

Make sure the adjustable cone is not too tight.

*Slips in low gear...

Check to see if the sprocket is loose on the driver. (It's just pressed on)

Low-speed retarder spring might be weak.

Bearing surfaces on low speed and/or high speed drivers worn.

Low-speed clutch or hub shell worn.

I have quite a few odds and ends parts for the red band kickback if you need them. Gary

Back