Bendix 2spd kickback hubs

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
was hoping that someone could tell me the differance between the Bendix 2 spd kickback hubs, red, yellow, blue, the gear differance, like under gear direct, or direct and over gear?, which one is better? sorry, thank's

The red and yellow are both underdrive, .67:1 and 1:1. The blue is overdrive, 1:1 and 1:1.25. The blue was made for 20" wheels, not to say they haven't been laced into larger wheels.

The red were used from '60-'64 and have a disc pack style brake. The yellow and blue were used from '64-'70 and both use the shoe style brakes.

Should mention that since the "overdrive" blue-bands were made to fit 20" wheels, they're most likely going to be 28-spoke hubs.

The red-band and yellow-band hubs are usually 36-hole hubs. Keep that in mind when looking for them and choosing a rim to lace them up to.

The driver cog can be swapped out as well (17t through 22t should be available) if you need to change overall gearing.

--Rob

i have a redband i laced into an S2 rim for a cruiser, I LOVE IT!!! I cant imagine why they stopped making them, multi speed with no cables how much better can it get. the new kickbacks are cool but the low gear is great for getting started

NLCTVWguy said:
The driver cog can be swapped out as well (17t through 22t should be available) if you need to change overall gearing.--Rob

Rob, you said this once before and I corrected you but you must not have seen my post. You can't switch the cogs on Bendix 2 speeds as they are pressed on the driver. Red band kickbacks came with either 18t or 19t for girls bikes. All yellow bands were 18t. All blue bands were 20t. Gary

I have a yellow band on a 26" S7 wheel that still rides great. The brakes are so good because they work off the lower gear part, giving more leverage so they feel like power brakes. I think they were advertised that way at one time.

I love all three of the kickback 2 speeds I own. Paid dearly for them but no regrets ... yet

I have often thought about lacing a blu band to a older 24 inch wheel for my tandem to have overdrive instead of an underdrive.
Mayby we could hear from someone that has done the overdrive thing on a larger wheel setup.

I think it would have nearly the same effect if you used a larger chain wheel, 48 or 52 teeth. Might be easier than relacing a blueband hub.

I stand corrected... I thought they had the snap-ring style driver cog like all the other Bendix's.

Sorry about the misinformation... personally I like mine geared nice n low. I ride my 64 Racer a lot with a yellow band and a 46t front and I think it's too high for some of the hills. Good skidder tho... :)

--Rob

B607 said:
NLCTVWguy said:
The driver cog can be swapped out as well (17t through 22t should be available) if you need to change overall gearing.--Rob

Rob, you said this once before and I corrected you but you must not have seen my post. You can't switch the cogs on Bendix 2 speeds as they are pressed on the driver. Red band kickbacks came with either 18t or 19t for girls bikes. All yellow bands were 18t. All blue bands were 20t. Gary

pardon my dumb newbie question, but how do these hubs work?

do they just automatically shift into the lower or higher gear depending on what is needed? and they have the brake incorporated as well?

so what ca do to shift these things is a quick back kick like youi were braking except that you dont sustain it .... just a quick blip backwards & wala... it shifts .... up downup down all day long ... best part is NO cables

Latest posts

Back