bench grinder & buffer recommendation wanted

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
title says it all. anyone have suggestions for a 6" or 8" double wheel grinder and separate buffer polisher of the same size?

Q: can I put a 6" wheel on an 8" grinder?

I assumed I would need variable speed, since buffing was done slow. I had a 10" buffer from eastwood but sent it back because it seemed like overkill. I have even considered a foredom style flexible shaft for polishing, but it seems for price I can get more bang per buck on a bench unit.

Q: with a bench grinder bolted in, can I leave off a wheel, add a coupler & shaft through a couple of pillow bearings? or am I going to burn out the motor? I assume the bench grinders have two wheels for balance as much as purpose.

and can any motor be speed controlled with an additional gadget?

this is for hobby use. any brands to keep away? or do I just go to the big box and plunk down my money?

thanks

Most dedicated grinders have a tool rest and the wheels are close to the motor. Buffers have no rest and are usually much wider so you can swing your work. You can run a grinder with just one wheel. Most electric motors only have a shaft on one side anyway. I don't think it's possible to control the speed. You get 1750 rpm or 3450 rpm, that's usually it. I bought a Harbor Freight buffer and it's 3450rpm. Too fast! Buffing should be done at 1750 rpm in my opinion. Gary

B607 said:
Most dedicated grinders have a tool rest and the wheels are close to the motor. Buffers have no rest and are usually much wider so you can swing your work. You can run a grinder with just one wheel. Most electric motors only have a shaft on one side anyway. I don't think it's possible to control the speed. You get 1750 rpm or 3450 rpm, that's usually it. I bought a Harbor Freight buffer and it's 3450rpm. Too fast! Buffing should be done at 1750 rpm in my opinion. Gary

Gary, do you think this controller would work? My Harborfreight 6 inch buffer pulls 1.6 amps. This controller is rated at 2.5 amps.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product ... CFEQ8wIwAA

Controller costs as much or more than what I paid for the buffer! :(

-or- just buy a slower buffer?

the 10" buffer I sent back to Eastwood ( too darn big) was dual speed - 1750 & 3400 rpms if I remember correctly. I had also entertained getting an electric die grinder, but was told it would turn up way too fast to buff.

jerrykr said:
Gary, do you think this controller would work? My Harborfreight 6 inch buffer pulls 1.6 amps. This controller is rated at 2.5 amps.

Controller costs as much or more than what I paid for the buffer! :(

-or- just buy a slower buffer?

I don't know but for $31 I think I'll order one. The 3450 buffer will tear the part you are buffing right out of your hand and throw it on the floor. 1750 with 8" or 10" wheels is just right.

southpier, that Eastwood buffer is just what I needed. Where did you buy it? Gary

B607 said:
The 3450 buffer will tear the part you are buffing right out of your hand and throw it on the floor. 1750 with 8" or 10" wheels is just right.

The thing I find is that it's hard to get the buffing compound off, probably due to the high speed (I think).

B607 said:
jerrykr said:
....southpier, that Eastwood buffer is just what I needed. Where did you buy it? Gary

from the Eastwood Company http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-1-hp-b ... speed.html

nice product & good service, but over the top for what i'm trying to accomplish. i bought the extra kit with wheels & compounds. their prices are fair. the buffer didn't get rave reviews, but i take that stuff with a grain.

jerrykr said:

Slower buffer may be the answer. My buffer draws 8 amps. Too much for the controller. Eastwood...here I come! Gary

Back