Beer Light

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fellow rat bikers need some ideas as to where to get the parts for it namely a reflector big enough to fit in the can. Ok here goes my idea I found a pint size Heineken keg can on the side of the road I wanna take and make a headlight out of it for my 12 speeder I am slightly ratting up come the summer I am gonna be painting up my old lady olive drab she's just to shiny for my taste right now so does anyone have any ideas as to hot to do a battery powered custom light? I am also toying with modding a tire rubbing light to but I know those things aren't so bright so I figure the old can is big enough to hose a coupld of D size batteries I want the thing to last to.

Now this is not the bike I own right now I need to get a coupleof pics of it taken I just got her back to road worthy finally but this will give y'all an idea of what my old lady is and she rides good road her hard today :mrgreen:

Current specs are the same haven't touched anything on her with the exception of wider tires for the crappy roads around here got Kenda 27x ! 3/8 on her now and they handle really well I want to make her more of a semi off roader.

1981SportDeluxew.jpg

and if not, check the dollar store. they usually have flashlights with batteries cheaper than you can buy just the batteries for.

First I cut the top of the can with tin snips.Then I drilled the back out.Make sure you do not drill the hole out bigger than the flash light.It has to fit snug to a tight fit.Then I put the lego in with foil to craddle the light so it dose not move around or come loose.I opted not to use the reflecter.Instead i used the brow and lens from a bullet light I had around that did not work.Then i used what is called plumbers tape for the brackets.Light and reflecter I got from a dollar store
IMG_20101226_193154.jpg
IMG_20101226_194725.jpg
IMG_20101226_194717.jpg
IMG_20101226_194712.jpg
IMG_20101226_193306.jpg
IMG_20101226_193318.jpg

Thanks for the pics cool idea any pics of it on the bike?

taillight idea
IMG_20101228_220912.jpg
IMG_20101228_220939.jpg
IMG_20101228_221025.jpg
IMG_20101228_221032.jpg
IMG_20101228_220553.jpg

First I took off the metal backing on the reflecter so that it looks like the set on the right.Then I shaved the sides of the reflecter with a knife so that they fit snug inside the lip of the light.Then I pushed the reflecter inside the lip of the light.I collored the reflecter with a red marker because they were not dark enough.Then I mounted the lights on the bike with tie straps.

Hey bikebum1975 if you use a beer can, cool, be sure to post it on the "show us your beer bike " thread.
Rico great choice of beer can for a head light.
Here is how I did it a few years back on the "Beerbike"
Start with a can, cut the top out , and cut a hole in the bottom for the flash light to stick out for access to the off/on button, as Rico said.
I used a piece of foam rubber type stuff and made donuts that fit firm inside the can to hold the LED flash light .
xmas2010049.jpg

xmas2010047.jpg

I used a piece of aluminum strap riveted to the can to mount to the bikes fork, I reinforced the can from the inside with piece of tin, because the can is very thin and the rivets will rip out with out reinforcement.
xmas2010048.jpg

then I made a lens from a piece of plexiglass
xmas2010044.jpg

and mount it to the bike
xmas2010043.jpg

I did the same type of build for a beer can tail light, the plexi stick glows red in the dark , I used a red transparent film on the flashlights lens, the off/on is accessed through the top of the can, the plexi stick was originally a towel rack.
xmas2010053.jpg

get creative, have fun

Back