Beautiful Elgin Bluebird restoration

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice bluebird but i don't think I could ever bring myself to pay $13K for a bicycle. Especially one that needs wood blocks under the kickstand to hold it up. :lol:

Wow is right! $52 back in 1935 was a lot of money for a bike! :shock: I'm guessing you aren't gonna buy it though! :lol: :lol: Looks like a really nice restoration. 8)

Like I always say I'd rather have 13 $1,000 bikes than 1 $13,000 bike. Or even 26 $500 bikes.

Personally for $13,000 I'd buy all the tools and metal stock to build a replica.

Tater said:
Both of those bikes are beautiful. Adjusted for inflation, that Bluebird would cost about $817.00 today. I suppose that would put it in a category with the higher end Electra and Felt cruisers.
in his description he said it was 2 months salary in 1935 in the depresion...i make more than 408$ per month :D so i think inflation would put it about 8,000 to 10,000 :shock: ...another thing i cant believe that bike didnt come with a chain guard :shock:

I could get a really nice '50's oval rag VW for that amount, and probably have it delivered too.

ndaway said:
Tater said:
Both of those bikes are beautiful. Adjusted for inflation, that Bluebird would cost about $817.00 today. I suppose that would put it in a category with the higher end Electra and Felt cruisers.
in his description he said it was 2 months salary in 1935 in the depresion...i make more than 408$ per month :D so i think inflation would put it about 8,000 to 10,000 :shock: ...another thing i cant believe that bike didnt come with a chain guard :shock:

I'm not buying his two months income claim. The average monthly income in the US for 1935 was around $125, not $26. He's off by a factor of five. I'd love to have a Bluebird, but not at the sort of dough they're going for. :shock:

Fahrrad said:
I could get a really nice '50's oval rag VW for that amount, and probably have it delivered too.

Now you're speaking my language. I'd rather have an old camper splitty though.

udallcustombikes said:
Don't care. All the Bluebirds we see are original or restored. I would have the coolest one-26x3 tires, cool 50's style scallop paint job, I can see it now. Man, I need to find one. 8)

Exactly, find one in a barn at a giveaway price from someone who doesn't know or care what it's worth. Put on a rattle can job, impress all these RRB freaks, maybe even win a build-off with little effort, then sell it for HUGE money with "fresh primer." :mrgreen:

Back