beastern 1970 sears spyder hotrod/rat finished

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well tear down has begun!!!! i got her about halfway apart next step will be cleaning the chrome and figuring out hat i want to do with the seat this bike is actually really decent nothing iss tuck the seat post is very long so it is taking me forever to get it out i may bolt a seat to it to remove it but i tried the half witted method first next step would be the smart method and probably the best ( cannot be gorgeous and smart all in one lol) here is my progress thus far more updates soon as you can see i ran out of light i will get a better progress picture tomorrow
DSCF1278.JPG

well tear down has begun!!!! i got her about halfway apart next step will be cleaning the chrome and figuring out hat i want to do with the seat this bike is actually really decent nothing iss tuck the seat post is very long so it is taking me forever to get it out i may bolt a seat to it to remove it but i tried the half witted method first next step would be the smart method and probably the best ( cannot be gorgeous and smart all in one lol) here is my progress thus far more updates soon as you can see i ran out of light i will get a better progress picture tomorrowView attachment 51134

May I ask what you use to clean the chrome with?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

just pb blaster and steel wool usually gives me great results or dawn dish soap as well as the steel wool if the chrome is too pitted i use a wire wheel but that is not a good idea since it ill peel the chrome i have also had great results with evaporust t removes the rust but not the chrome or paint

well got the seat post out it's not as long as i thought but that is OK i am most likely going to add a little low rider bomb flavor tot his build so the seat will be very low the seatpost is rusty and has marks form the pliers i used to remove it but i am going to sand it and clean it up and see how it looks next step will be removing the front forks and sprocket and then the chain guard and chain and them beginning of paint and bodywork i ama actually way ahead of schedule with this bike and it is going alto better then i expected so i got time to do some custom bodywork which leads me to the tank i am adding it looks like a super bike and is too new so i will probably modify it and see what i come up with i am also considering a pair of handlebars from this scooter they almost have as much height as the apes and i can use the front brake on this build obviously the grips will not be used
18362285_10210642370153516_484661441_o.jpg

For every scooter you KILL to make a bike............I'll have to KILL a bike to make a scooter! Someone has to keep the "balance" in the Universe.
ha ha yeah so very true i am still weighing out the odds i like this scooter but i like the bars on my build i may just borrow them or find a pair like them

well progress progress and more progress got alot done today since the rain finally stopped got the bike almost completely torn down and i managed to peel off the cover to th pan and discovered the foam and pan itself are the cleanest i have ever seen for og parts so i will be re using the foam and pan and going to cover it in n red velvet i got the front forks removed and am now going to work on the tank i may have to gt a lil crafty with a saw and hammer for this one but we shall see where it goes here is the current stage as we speak
girlie current.jpg
i am beginning to think these front forks never had grease on them ever very clean a little to clean and very suspicious looking

girlie front forks.jpg

trying to reuse as much of the original hardware as possible going to soak these in evaporust and see how they come out

girlie guts.jpg

more hardware this time i remembered to save them seperately

girlie hardware.jpg

the ehadet bearings look shiny and new NOT what i wanted to see lol

girlie head bearings.jpg

orignal headset hardware looks great a lil polishing and they should look new
girlie headset.jpg
my "to do" list of parts that need cleaning and polishing

girlie parts pile.jpg
origial seat foam is in good shape going to re use it with a red velvet cover
girlie seat foam.jpg
seat pan bottom this is the cleanest og seat i have ever seen! rust is minimal and should come off very easily
girlie seat pan bottom.jpg
top of the seat even looks new the sides are a little dirty from te foam but nothing a little wirebrushing and cleaning won't fix may paint it back anyways
girlie seat pan top.jpg
the seatpost well she aint so pirty might have to clean this one and repaint it to colormatch the bike
girlie seatpost.jpg
more stuff on my "to do" list

girlie sissy.jpg
the tank i am going to use i have to take it apart i may cover it in velvet as well to give it a reall lowrider look

hot rod girlie tank.jpg
thats all for now more updates soon i will be taking the tank apart and seeing what i can do with it next and going to clean the chrome after that

well got the tank fitted and it fits like a glove looks like it was meant to be i have not even tightened it just set it together and it fits perfectly the tank is rough but i am going to be
18493090_10210691609744475_1119243597_o.jpg
covering it in red velvet so im not concerned about the tanks condition it has good bones i discovered th chrome is peeling off on the sissybar so i determined either cheap Chinese spin off replacement or shoddy craftsmanship nonetheless i will be painting the sissy bar to color match the bike not gonna mes with replating the chrome
18472604_10210691670786001_460360963_o.jpg
18472481_10210691670585996_1435083796_o.jpg

i also found this rack in my old junk pile i will be mounting that nos bottle you guys see in the parts pile on this and running a a hose to the front tank to mimmick a nos setup

18516469_10210691671906029_1999562085_o.jpg

spiderwebs ugh but this gives me an idea for a paint job maybe spider webbing over the black paint or trying the candle wax method i have been wanting to try we shall see anyone need the remnants of this seat piece? pay shipping and it's yours free of charge spiderwebs and all lol

Last edited:
well since I keep getting internal server error messages when I try to upload my pictures I will post a progress picture later

got some test fitting on the tank done i did some reassembly work done to make the tank look as it should i am pretty happy with the look this tank looks like it is meant to be here bear in mind this will be covered in red velvet as well as the seat so the ugliness will be gone i am still trying to figure out how to mount the rear rack the only reasonable configuration is mount it to the sissy bar like the old crates used to have and shorten it since this racks cheap and im not too concerned about it i am OK with cutting it up we shall see what i do more updates soon nothing is bolted on all parts are just siting there so final assembly will be much neater i also gotta contact my lbs about getting the hubs laced to these wheels but since this setup fits i may just keep it still lots of work to do but it's going smoothly so far expect some hiccup soon that is how it always goes

also after looking at this picture i decided i may go without a front fender on this one i also definitely need a fatter rear tire ideally i would like to run a tire similar to the grasshopper slicks but i severely doubt im gonna find one of those anywhere in my budget

the other thing i am going to do is incorporate my bike chain grips but this time i am going to heat up the original grips and wrap the chain around it and when it cools im hoping it bonds of not superglue it is i tried this once on my space-liner but it failed so i am going to try it on this one and maybe perfect it

here is the chain grip concept on my space liner which this version failed miserably so i am going to try to resurrect them and perfect them that's the fun about build offs not just the bikes but incorporating ideas you may want to try and them perfecting them we shall see how it goes more updates soon

50034_af83036d206576409d7f527c5edcb865.jpg

today's focus was cleaning off the seat post and seat pan the seat post actually came out pretty good considering it was corroded still not perfect but good enough since i will be re painting it here is the bottom of the post i still have to work on that a little bit

18575016_10210726514617075_890089126_o.jpg
as you can see the chrome is definitely junk i suspect it was never chrome which is easier to paint anyways may see if i can bend this to make a laid back post if not i will contact slowriderz and see if he can make me one like this or bend this one to a lucky 7 shape but that is unlikely due to costs this build is very low buck and even lower technology done the way true rat rodders did things using whatcha got and make it all work

18552988_10210726514817080_1665019301_o.jpg
i think this is the worse pic i ever took!!!! but it shows how i got the bars mounted there will a better one once tomorrow rolls around as you can see i am adding a little low rider flavor to this build sorry i ran out of light the seat looks amazing but the sissy bar is uneven and seems bent so i am thinking i may just buy some piping and build a custom old school cross sissy bar with high rise appeal to it then i can mount the rear rack to the seat
18554029_10210726514977084_1789624363_o.jpg
last shot of the seat post all the rust is gone but it will need t be repainted for sure

18575256_10210726514497072_89371833_o.jpg

that's all for today more updates soon

well here are some better progress pics slow and steady but shes coming along i still have to completely tear this down and repaint it and add the red velvet seat cover and tank cover gotta finish cleaning the bright work gotta find a wider rear tire gotta gotta gotta ugh projects are tough but i think the end result will be rewarding this build is really testing my building capabilities as i am trying different ideas i have thought out
18575933_10210732226159860_618953790_o.jpg
18596554_10210732225519844_319337859_o.jpg
since this bike has to be ride able once it's finished i decided to change my chain grip idea a bit and wrap the chain around the original grips so they have bite and stay on this idea seems to be working once i finish the chain grips they will be color matched to the bike most likely red all bright work is going to be either red or gold i have not decided yet im gearing towards red but gold would give it the low rider vibe im kind of trying to infiltrate into this build but paint colors are still a ways off theres lots more to be done before i think about paintwork

18575597_10210732216439617_66465611_o.jpg
some alignment is still needed for the seat as you can see but it's getting there

18578687_10210732216319614_237147818_n.jpg

seat pan came out excellent with only minimal rust still showing a quick shot of rustoleum and a bath in evaporust before the paint should fix the rust issues nothing is all the way thru this pan is the cleanest i have ever seen in the wild on original seats considering this bike sat outside on a farm when i found it
18553918_10210732224799826_1821220332_o.jpg

I'm digging it so far.

well she is all torn apart..... again this time everything is taken off nothing but a bare bones frame next step is body working and fixing any issues that i may find here she is at the moment in her current phase sorry the picture is upside down for some reason
IMG_20170519_171653.jpg

everything right down to the bearing races is getting a bath in evaporust then in degreaser then i will decide what needs painting and what does not if i do it right this bikes going to look brand new when done
IMG_20170519_171607.jpg

bearing cups look good no cracks but they need a bath in evaporust then a repaint maybe i am thinking red to match the accents on the bike when it is done.
IMG_20170519_171619.jpg

not really feeling this kickstand i may do something different with it but ti is original to the bike maybe i can custom paint it or something i dunno but i k now it is not staying as it is i hate it but it will be bathed in evaporust and degreaser as well maye painted red as well i will worry about that later
IMG_20170519_171053.jpg

ack!!! bottom bracket bearings are dry and rusty NOT what i like to see but they seem intact and undamaged so i will clean them up and re grease them when the time comes.
IMG_20170519_171316.jpg

umm... oops! first hiccup of many to come i was trying to cut the chain with an extractor and it snapped not sure why since this chain is actually in decent shape oh well off to the bin to be cleaned and de rusted it goes then new master link should fix this problem i will have to inspect the rest and make sure nothing else is weak or worn
IMG_20170519_171120.jpg

the front chainwheel is pretty clean as is the crankarms no typical rust on these i may swap them with another set since i want to paint them red and use an older chainwheel and keep this setup as it is pedals have to go their hideous white plastic and basic
IMG_20170519_171139.jpg

my to do list all this has to be cleaned sanded and painted and the tank needs to be covered in red velvet still have to figure out how my chain grips will work

well i was not quite finished updating so here is the rest of it

took the tires off the wheels and discovered one of these tires is an original sears probably original to the bike i am going to try and save it and see if i can re use it
IMG_20170519_171147.jpg

more to do stuff like i said lots of work to be done but plenty of time more updates soon
IMG_20170519_171136.jpg

Latest posts

Back