Bearing cup removal?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the easiest way to remove bearing cups from an old rusty Schwinn? Where can one get new ones if the originals are damaged? Thanks guys and gals!

You can tap them out from the opposite side with a piece of brass rod or a piece of a broomhandle. They are tight but just pressed it. Move the rod from side to side as you are tapping so it comes out straight.

Post a message on the WANTED forum and you'll find your cups. They are common and should be dirt cheap. Gary

Hey turtles and Gary.

Here's an idea that I just recently discovered sort of by accident. I have a steel seat post that I cut about 3 inches off the bottom. It's still about 8-10 inches long. It works perfectly to tap out the bearing cups, because the bottom edge is no longer rounded and slick. It grabs the edges of the bearing cups perfectly.

Another thing is I have some pieces of 4/4 square wooden posts about a foot long, and they are very handy to stack up and hold the frame up off the floor when you are tapping the cups. Gives you a solid surface to hit against.

On the off chance that your cups are nice, and you don't want to mess them up when they pop out of the frame, lay an old towel on the floor to catch them.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the help guys. I want to take them out before I paint the frame. Does the same go with the crank cups?

yes, exactly.

re-install them by tapping them back in, but use a flat piece of wood to shield the cups from the hammer. tap evenly around the cup until they are completely seated into the head tube and the bottom bracket tube.

You get the best results if the frame is sitting on something solid so that nothing moves except the bearing cup. A piece of wood on the floor (maybe my 4x4) will also protect your paint.

You don't have to hit hard, that's why Gary used the word "tap".

Do it once to practice before you paint the frame. You will have the hang of it after one try.

Dont get paint in the tube where the cups go, no sense in having to fight dry paint to fit. I like using my big C-clamp as a press, rather than tapping, but sometimes its good to get a good straight start with the tapping, put the clamp on and make sure everything continues to track in straight.
If you dont have a big clamp, get some 'all-thread' rod and a selection of washers and two nuts to fit. You run it up through the tube, or BB, and the cups and tighten up; it'll squeeze them in nicely.

Got the steering tube cups out but no such luck with the BB cups. Guess I will tape them off to paint the frame.

gcrank1 said:
Dont get paint in the tube where the cups go, no sense in having to fight dry paint to fit. I like using my big C-clamp as a press, rather than tapping, but sometimes its good to get a good straight start with the tapping, put the clamp on and make sure everything continues to track in straight.
If you dont have a big clamp, get some 'all-thread' rod and a selection of washers and two nuts to fit. You run it up through the tube, or BB, and the cups and tighten up; it'll squeeze them in nicely.

Great advice! I'll remember this one when I reassemble my bike.

Turtlesixfour said:
Got the steering tube cups out but no such luck with the BB cups. Guess I will tape them off to paint the frame.

Use a bigger hammer. :mrgreen: Gary

B607 said:
Turtlesixfour said:

Use a bigger hammer. :mrgreen: Gary
Haha! I don't think John Henry could get those things out! Maybe Thor?

$6 headset press for install if you want to do it carefully. 1 threaded rod, 4 large washers, two big nuts. I just use a rubber mallet for most installs.

016.jpg

cman said:
Heat won't work that way. The cups will come out. Find someone to help and a bigger hammer.

bb310.jpg

This is my method of choice, but without the surgical gloves and I have big heavy duty Craftsman screwdriver.

He just did not want to get grease under his nails. :mrgreen:
This is my method but with a old mop handle cut off flat.

I was using an old seat post. Didn't want to "tap" too hard and ruin the cups! Will try the Thor method and, if all else fails, will be posting in the Wanted section for new ones. Stay tuned true believers!

Gary is right, bigger hammer.
You won't hurt them.
Support the frame so that it does not move when you hit the cup.
Work your way around so that it comes out straight.

Back