Be True To The School...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Since I have some free time in my life I decided to talk to my daughters school about doing a bicycle info/safety assembly, maybe I am nuts facing a bunch of Elementary kids but I figure I would talk to them about what basic tools they need, some how to repairs,and bring one of my build off bikes to get the creative juices flowing. Bottom line, if I can spark some interest outside of video games, I may get this bike hobby to continue for years to come, Has anyone here done something like this before ?

Haven't done it myself because I guess I'm still learning. I think that is a great idea! I've seen some of your bikes & I'm sure it will get the gears turning in some of those younger minds. They can also fix anything that was assembled incorrectly on their bikes purchased @ Walmart! :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

First, I commend you for donating your time to help kids, your return will be ten-fold.

What ages are the kids?

I'd keep it simple, stuff like replacing a tire/tube, replacing and oiling a chain, replacing grips, adjusting seat height and handlebar postion....

That kind of stuff.

I don't know the layout of the classroom or how much equipment you have for the class, but 'hands on' will get/keep their interest too.

Cheers,
Dr. T

I have considered doing a bike safety thing at my kids school. I live in a small town of less than 500 people right across the street from the elementary school. The kids (and their parents) know me as the bike guy and many come to me for their bicycle repairs and I have come home on more than one occasion to find bikes left for me in the driveway. The reason I haven't done anything yet is because I do not set a good example for the kids as far a safety goes, don't own a helmet, traffic laws seem to slip my mind, etc. I just wouldn't feel right preaching safety when I don't follow the rules myself. A repair clinic though...

Keep it VERY SIMPLE. The kids will love it! (remember when any excuse to get out of class was great?).
Great idea. The school system will love it if it is free.

Go shopping for a couple of those "urban survival, super cheap, xmas stocking stuffer, tool kits". If they can't do the job with those tools, don't present the task. You can use plier handles to remove tire beads for instance to change a tube.

I say a "couple" of tool kits, because one of them must have pink and purple handles with flowers and butter flies for the girls to feel involved. :D

Show them very simple safety stuff, like how to adjust a bike helmet to fit their head, how to adjust the seat height to fit their bodies, and to wear sneakers instead of going barefoot. Tell them it's not IF they will fall down, it's WHEN, and how some basic clothing they already have will prevent some road rash.

You have a great idea!

Traffic light safety please! That is probably the number one way for a kid end up in a fatal accident...

Cool for you to do that, a very selfless way to put your hobby out there. I bet even a few of the parents could learn a thing or two about changing a tire tube :mrgreen:

GoldStreet - big props to you! I think that's a fantastic idea, especially if you involve some basic mechanical skills. Many kids don't even know how stuff works or what you can do with a set of tools and to teach it via an activity that they enjoy (like cycling) might bring it closer to them.
Good luck, I hope it works out fine!

I am just waiting for the OK from the board of supervisors to approve my assembly (keeping fingers crossed ) but if everything goes as planned I will probably pick up a few tool kits to give away along with a walgoose that I will giveaway. I want to build a display board with a coaster brake hub disassembled , probably show how to do the basics, and hand out flyers showing the basic hand tools needed to work on bikes. in Calif its a law that kids have to wear a helmet,even though its not enforced to much, a kid got killed two years ago riding at night with no lights or helmet. The driver never even seen the kid. As far as traffic lights we have six .....in the COUNTY :shock: all are on the highway around the lake.

Back