BB bearings falling out

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just took apart my cranks and after about maybe a mile of riding to test out my coaster brake rebuild the bearings on the chain wheel side all popped out of the carrier. They are brand new and i didn't have a problem with the other side, can anyone tell me what i did wrong so i don't do in another BB bearing.

It's happened to me a couple of times. This is a one piece type crank? The problem happens is when the bearings are placed in the chainring side of the bearing cup in the frame. As the crank assembly is put through the frame, the bearings come out of place very slightly and then the cranks are tightened down and adjusted. Then as you pedal, the bearings get set properly in the cup, making the whole assembly a little looser and the bearing retainer may have been bent slightly, allowing the bearings to come free. Now I always doublecheck the chainside bearing to make sure it's set properly in the cup. After a first ride, I'll recheck the bearings for adjustment.

Wildcat said:
It's happened to me a couple of times. This is a one piece type crank? The problem happens is when the bearings are placed in the chainring side of the bearing cup in the frame. As the crank assembly is put through the frame, the bearings come out of place very slightly and then the cranks are tightened down and adjusted. Then as you pedal, the bearings get set properly in the cup, making the whole assembly a little looser and the bearing retainer may have been bent slightly, allowing the bearings to come free. Now I always doublecheck the chainside bearing to make sure it's set properly in the cup. After a first ride, I'll recheck the bearings for adjustment.

Yeah, they are one piece cranks, and come to think of it the lock ring was pretty loose but it felt tight when i first put it together. I'll have to watch that and in the mean time get a new bearing.

Back