Bareknuckle Brawler - Finished

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
motivator104cd77a468a48601b842e97ed152b32557fde9f-1-1.jpg

Re: Bareknuckle Brawler

Time for some real pics.

I'm using a Repco branded department store frame. I've picked up a few of these when they come on special........It's about the cheapest way to get a cantilever frame here in Australia.
I've been wanting to do a bare metal build for a while, so this will be it. The plan is for a low, fat tired, tough looking bike with not much extra stuff hanging off it. I'm sure it will find it's own direction once I start putting the parts together.

The frame
DSCF1385-1.jpg

Some of the parts to go on it
Fork
DSCF1383-1.jpg

New Velosteel coaster hub
DSCF1379-1.jpg

NOS Sachs front hub
DSCF1267-1.jpg

Tires
DSCF1384-1.jpg

Re: Bareknuckle Brawler

Got the front laced up and tire fitted..........rear is nearly done. I used a pair of SunRims Rhyno Lite rims. Pretty happy with the look.

DSCF1386-1.jpg

Re: Bareknuckle Brawler (did some work!!)

Rear done. "Borrowed" the valve caps from the RRBBO5 bike.

It was a holiday (Labour Day) in the state I live in, so I took advantage of the day off to get some bike work done.

DSCF1390-1.jpg

Re: Bareknuckle Brawler (did some more work)

I always planned to use two stems on this bike - one on each of the fork legs with split bars. I had previously fitted the fork to another bike, and had cut down the fork legs, and when I fitted them to this frame, I found that the fork legs didn't have enough length protruding through the top plate to be able to clamp a stem to. I could have fittted the stems under the top plate, but it's not the look I'm after.

DSCF1395-1.jpg

Mmmm...........look at it for 30 minutes..........look in the parts bin...........look at the bike again........start to think I'm gonna have to buy a new fork for the longer legs (don't want to weld on extensions, as it will ruin the chrome), then :idea: :idea: :idea: ......where did I put that quill adaptor???

Found it!!
DSCF1398-1.jpg

Perfect :D . Just have to pick up another one, find two stems the same and trim the fork legs
DSCF1399-1.jpg

DSCF1403-1.jpg

Re: Bareknuckle Brawler (problem and solution)

That is an awesome idea!! cant wait to see it finished!

Cool idea, I have very little experience with threadless setups. But, if you're running the stems in the forks, how will you secure the steer tube? Doesn't the stem typically 'pull it all together'?

Cheers,
Dr. T

Dr. Tankenstein said:
Cool idea, I have very little experience with threadless setups. But, if you're running the stems in the forks, how will you secure the steer tube? Doesn't the stem typically 'pull it all together'?

Cheers,
Dr. T
I'd think that a seat post clamp would work as well as a stem for that function...

Dr. Tankenstein said:

Cheers,
Dr. T

Dr. T, I'm still going to use a star nut in the steer tube. I'll just use a narrow spacer instead of the stem, and pull it all together. The top plate is also secured to the steer tube by a clamp type setup.

yoothgeye said:
bean said:
I always planned to use two stems on this bike - one on each of the fork legs with split bars.

Two stem? Hmmm...

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=39623#p386622

:roll: :D

I've always liked the two stem/split bar idea after seeing it a few years ago. European builders have been using this stem system for years. Have seen it on a number of Basman and scratch built bikes using triple trees. I've even seen pics of custom motorcycles using MTB stems and split bars.

A pic of a bike on this site from a couple of years ago
untitled-1.jpg

bean said:
I've always liked the two stem/split bar idea after seeing it a few years ago. European builders have been using this stem system for years. Have seen it on a number of Basman and scratch built bikes using triple trees. I've even seen pics of custom motorcycles using MTB stems and split bars.

I'll still call dibs on the idea. haha :lol:

Latest posts

Back