Bar Keeper's Friend?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone used Bar Keeper's Friend for rust removal? I use it for just about everything around the house. I have noticed that around the site many people use oxalic acid to remove rust and it seems to do a wonderful job. On the back of the Bar Keeper's Friend it states that it contains oxalic acid.

So what do I do from here? Do I make a paste or do I make a bath to dunk the parts in? Do I use it in conjunction with some steel wool?

Thanks for the help guys!

i use it with steel wool ...scotch brite pads ..tooth brushes ...qtips ... works real good if u like scrubbing and scrubbing and scrubbing ...LOL ...
if its lite rust on something i use this orange cleaner and sprinkle some BKF on there and a scotch brite ...works like a champ !!!

I have been making a career lately out of removing rust, as I am restoring my 1965 Schwinn Breeze. I have read LOTS online about what to use, what not to use, what works, what doesn't. Everyone has their opinions, and here are mine! There is a product called LA's Totally Awesome Cleaner that you can get at Dollar General (around here) that works like a charm with 0000 steel wool. It comes in a spray bottle (a bit diluted, I think), or a 64oz bottle concentrate for about $3.50. For rust removal it says to dilute with water 2:1. I was using it, then read online that others knew about it and approved of it as well.

White vinegar works extremely well with 0000 steel wool, too. BUT, be sure to rinse with a baking soda/water bath to neutralize the vinegar or it will leave a funny looking finish...I found out the hard way. :cry:

Now about Scotch Brite and Chore Boy pads....They are wonderful little pads for just about everything, but NOT bike chrome. I found THIS out the hard way too. I was using steel wool with success, then read people rave about Scotch Brite and I thought "Duh, I should try that!" It works, all right, but totally dulled the shine of the chrome. Some places are even gray and "flat" looking. I'm really disappointed in that, and now have to decide if I want to re-chrome them. (That's another story.) Here is what Greenephantom.com says about it: "The ultimate goal in cleaning the chrome is to remove the rust without scratching the chrome. If you use a coarse steel wool, or a Chore Boy pad, or similar, then you will scratch and dull the chrome." I found and read that too late. It didn't scratch it, but it sure is dull. Don't make the same mistake. :cry:

So, I'm sticking to 0000 steel wool, Awesome Cleaner, and/or white vinegar followed by baking soda/water. I hope I've helped someone out today!

P.S. And I hope I don't get in trouble quoting another website. I DID give them credit... :D

I use Bar Keepers Friend for removing iron deposits that are from my well water. But I find that it will dull polished metal. The label says " Cleanser & Polish with Mild Abrasives "

For cleaning chrome without scratching Ive found that aluminium foil and coke or even just water works great for light rust. Works great for the tight corners and nucks and crannies.

I like barkeepers friend. I wet the parts with a spray bottle, apply the powder, then spray again to help it stick. Then I let it sit for a bit and go to town with the 0000 wool. The extremely rusty chrome wheels on my tandem came back to about 90%.

Back