"Bad Penny" Cruiser Build - Mockup Update!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Picked up this bike for the alloy coaster wheels, but I got it home and really liked the frame!

DSCN0665.JPG

DSCN0666.JPG

DSCN0667.JPG

Guess what?!?!?!? Yep, another build!

Plans include curved tapered forks, new paint, 10" stem, hi-rise handlebars, and ALOT of fresh pinstriping!

"Bad Penny"? New copper metallic paint. Or should I call it "Hot Rod Lincoln"?

Re: "Bad Penny" Cruiser Build

Sorry, I have got to get better at documenting ALL the steps of my builds.

I did a full mock up with the new forks, but forgot to take pics....ugggh!

But I DID get some shots of the first coat of copper metallic after wet sand......

DSCN0715.JPG

DSCN0717.JPG

I also ordered the replacement parts online today (bars, headset, stem, seatpost, grips).

More next week......

Sounds good! Atleast you don't update practically every turn of a screwdriver like I feel I do :mrgreen: keep us updated though!!

That's a gorgeous color. If you don't mind, I'd like to pick your brain about the painting process sometime. I'm certainly a novice and could use some guidance.

I'm looking forward to seeing this build come along. Good luck and have fun!

PabloAntonio said:
That's a gorgeous color. If you don't mind, I'd like to pick your brain about the painting process sometime. I'm certainly a novice and could use some guidance.

You probably don't want guidance from me......It's my first "real" paint job. Rattle cans are the weapon of choice.

Thanks for the color compliments. It's auto touch-up paint in aerosols. "Copper Metallic", don't know the auto application.

Little hint.....If your city/location has an Ollie's Discount Outlet, hit'em up!!!!! I got the paint there for 99 cents a 12-oz. can! Never know what colors they might have, but I stop in about once a week just to make sure I don't miss something.

Here's a peek at the paint colors for the pinstripes.....Yes, I do my own!
DSCN0707.JPG

Got the second coat on yesterday. Had a little out-of-town trip tonight, with another tomorrow night. I'll be back at it Thursday with another wet sand then pinstripes before clear later this weekend.

More to follow.....

Sorry for the delay, but........

Work, family, and church (in no particular order) has demanded most of my time lately, but I did get some pinstriping done.

Bad Penny now has a "face"....

DSCN0890.JPG

More stripes....

DSCN0893.JPG

DSCN0894.JPG

More after the clearcoat and assembly....Stay tuned!

Love the graphics. I might have to try my hand at pin-striping although my hands are pretty shaky.

Really like the color and the striping... spraying the wheels that green color would look really cool IMO!

Running gumwalls (orange) on aluminum rims. May go with a green or green/orange pinstripe on the rims, too!

sweet headbadge and striping! excellent choice on colors too.
what are you doing with the old fork??

Thanks for the kudos, guys!

Got the clear on earlier in the week. The clear was soooo glossy, I had a hard time eliminating the glare from the pics. I'll post more pics soon.

The old forks.....next project!

Some update pics showing clearcoat.......

DSCN0900m.JPG

DSCN0901m.JPG

DSCN0904.JPG

DSCN0905m.JPG

Waiting for a spacer for the front fork lower head bearing.......

Back