"Bad Girl" 1959 JCH Flightliner

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought this bike for my girlfriend and I am going to be restoring it. It is my first resto of a bike ever, she picked the name
This is what I started with:
a69a6844.jpg

And a parts bike:
140e4d49.jpg

Sandblasted the frame all the way down then hand sanded to get it perfectly smooth:
6d00e13c.jpg

Primed and ready for paint:
cdce0101.jpg

I will be painting it neon pink with matte black accents on the tank, chaingaurd and matte black rims/spokes.
The bike came with some white walls that are the exact same size as the tires that came off of the rims, but for some reason they wont go on. Someone told me it is because it looks like they were hung up for a long time and got stretched out, bummer cause theyre in perfect condition.
Ill keep this updated with pics of the build

Critter1 said:
Good job! You gonna sand that primer smooth too before you paint?
Of coarse, I did 1 coat of primer, sanded it down with 400 grit, then primed it lightly again and resanded, ill paint it in the AM tomorrow. Then after a couple layers itll be a good amount of clear coat to get her shiny.
On a side note, I bought the frame with the parts bike and white walls (now useless), for $30, stripped down the parts bike I needed and sold it for $20. Good Deal!

I built up a '59 Mens Flightliner, they are some of my favorite frames. As for your tires- you said they are the same size as the ones you took off. Just guessing but 26x1.75? Are the others 1 3/4? Because 1.75 and 1 3/4 are not equal in the bicycle world. Just speculation on my part.

udallcustombikes said:
I built up a '59 Mens Flightliner, they are some of my favorite frames. As for your tires- you said they are the same size as the ones you took off. Just guessing but 26x1.75? Are the others 1 3/4? Because 1.75 and 1 3/4 are not equal in the bicycle world. Just speculation on my part.
Dang youre good! They are in fact those sizes, that must be why they dont work! Whats the difference if you dont mind me asking

Nice flightliner.
I was going to paint the frame today but the weather was not permitting and also I notice a few deep scratches and dents in the frame, not major at all, but I know that if theyre on the final project itll bug me a lot, so im going to take a little more time and pick up a small tube of bondo to smooth em out.
Meanwhile im gonna try to blast and primer the forks/fenders while that dries...oh and I got MYSELF a bike! Gets here friday

68riviera430 said:
Nice flightliner.
I was going to paint the frame today but the weather was not permitting and also I notice a few deep scratches and dents in the frame, not major at all, but I know that if theyre on the final project itll bug me a lot, so im going to take a little more time and pick up a small tube of bondo to smooth em out.
Meanwhile im gonna try to blast and primer the forks/fenders while that dries...oh and I got MYSELF a bike! Gets here friday
Sweet What did you get?

FOUND OBJECTS said:
68riviera430 said:
Nice flightliner.
Sweet What did you get?
I dont know! haha
check it out: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=28585

MmmmMMMmmmmm...paint...
fff998ee.jpg

It looks uneven in the pic, but i assure you it is not. Its just the lighting, im gonna let it dry at LEAST 5 days.
It currently has 2 coats of clear on it. Anyone have experience with wetsanding bikes? I am a little intimidated

Did a mock up today now that I am comfortable about the paints dryness. Gonna stick with the all black tires, I think they go better with the theme, maybe a fat one up front to accompany the rear.
Thinking of making a custom badge for the front to, maybe out of a thin sheet of aluminum
I still have to bondo and paint the tank, clear the fenders and chaingaurd, meanwhile ill be adding the crank etc.
f44ae0c1.jpg

Latest posts

Back