"BACKSTREET" Spaceliner

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is my contribution to the spaceliner community. You need to know my soul inspiration for this build comes from Joey Mac's "Devilwing" creation a few years back.
I'm sure many of you guys remember his creation. He brought the best out of Spaceliner's frame design and took it to another level. What stole my soul was the lines brought by the frame and fork truss bar combination. It was so nice. I want to duplicate that on my build but with a difference in parts. Took months to acquire and
toy around with different parts.

027.jpg

This is what I started out with, I borrowed the idea of a tank I saw on the Redwing and a few other Spaceliner builds. But I decided to do without it. I initially liked
the setup but I later grew old with it. It just wasn't flowin for me. I done away with everything but the idea of the ape bars. I had another set of ape bars but not as
tall. I will use those bars on this project.

025.jpg

Enter the Shelby Springer. I was visualizing this fork on the Spaceliner. It worked. Darn, It works! But there are some issues with this interface. Shelby's headtube height
is shorter the J.C. Higgins. It's a difference of 3/8" of an inch. When I installed the fork, I barely had enough threads to screw the locknut.

shelflyer.jpg

So I'll need to have fabricated a steering tube tall enough that the complete headset assembly will screw in place. So this will replace the stock steering tube.
I won't mutilate the original part. Resale purposes. Know what I'm sayin?

steeringtube.jpg

So fast foward, this is the combination I finally came up with.

backstreet1.jpg

backstreet5-1.jpg

backstreet8.jpg

backstreet4.jpg

backstreet7.jpg

backstreet2.jpg

So this is what I put together. Just a mock up. The only serious work to be done is the steering tube. For cruisin, another set of wheels will be built around a Sachs #515
3 spd hub. I will also use the ape bars as mentioned earlier.

sachs515.jpg

apebars.jpg

This is rare Mercury gooseneck stem which will be used also. The long length will be a help for my long arms

mercury.jpg

Finally, Here is the optional fork I'll use for the cruise. Attached is a Radios Headlamp.

trussfork2.jpg

radios1.jpg

So I'll update things soon with photos showing the ape bar and hardfork setup.
Thanks for looking community.
wcc

BEAUTIFUL bicycle!

Love the colour, the frame, all the parts, the lights - everything together is perfect!

Good job!

looking real good there love the spaceliners i have one to its my favorite bike. btw on your third picture down you have a crome chaingaurd i saw one just like it at the pomona swap meet in california im still kicking myself for not buying it at the time oh well im sure we all have that one bike part that we should bought at the time we saw it.

As a spaceliner freak, I have just one word for your build so far ~~~~SWEET~~~~~! 8) :mrgreen:

Man, that bike just works. I mean nothing else to say. No gimmicks, nothing flashy, just a sweet looking bike. Loving the subtle colors.

Yea man, i love your spaceliners looks, i did this one last year, wish my chrome was good enought to have kept it all chrome. Sulley

002-6.jpg

What a beauty!!

are you useing that yoke or steer tube to the old schwinn springer i need one if you have an extra

sulley. Thanks for the compliment man. I read your whole thread. And, yours is a LOOKER! sulley, as I read your thread, My face wrinkled a bit when your shared that you had a bad heart condition. I hope that everything went well. This hobby has a purpose, It's fun and stress free. It's expressive! you know what I'm saying. Just work towards getting on your bike and ride. (unless you're doing it already) May the Lord bless you and trust him for your good health. All the best to you dude.
wcc

wcc said:
sulley. Thanks for the compliment man. I read your whole thread. And, yours is a LOOKER! sulley, as I read your thread, My face wrinkled a bit when your shared that you had a bad heart condition. I hope that everything went well. This hobby has a purpose, It's fun and stress free. It's expressive! you know what I'm saying. Just work towards getting on your bike and ride. (unless you're doing it already) May the Lord bless you and trust him for your good health. All the best to you dude.
wcc

Thank you. Sulley

Back