Back Road Bargains

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there. I drove a few back roads today, saw massive collection of old cars in this guys yard, so stopped to see if he had any bike (& motorcyle) stuff - he had some, but the cars were really incredible, all from late 30's to early 70's, most all there, just sitting and rotting - there was about 300 or more cars and trucks (a rat rod car paradise) there and I only saw 2 that were same model - every make & model you could think of - and all for sale, but to only those that stop & ask. It was really cool. He didn't really want me to take any pics, but I did snap one as I was pulling up. I said "man you sure have a lot of great old cars out here" and he said "there just cars" - he didn't seem to care much about anything.

Anyways, here's what I got. Not much I guess, and he had a lot of other bike stuff so I only grabbed what looked old cuz that's what I like. I have been looking for a 3-Speed hub, and I think one or two of these hubs are, but not real sure on one. He has a bunch more rims like these, some had bushes growing through them, but it was long walk and this is all I could carry.

Sorry for so many pics, not sure what it all is really so wanted to share. Would love to know if you know!

Oh, he said $10 for all, but I gave him a $20.

rust_01.jpg

rust_02.jpg

rust_03.jpg

rust_04.jpg

rust_05.jpg

rust_06.jpg

rust_07.jpg

rust_08.jpg

rust_09.jpg

rust_10.jpg

rust_11.jpg

rust_12.jpg

rust_13.jpg

rust_14.jpg

Thanks for looking. Cheers, Troy.

cool find! The one hub is a Komet. The Sturmey Archer should be dated on the hub. The 333 is a 3 speed...Shimano maybe??

i realy like frame no. 3!!!! great find...... MAN i wish i could get ahold of a car like that, ive been dying to build a rat rod car...... ive got a 64 nova, but i have plans for that thing. i want a 30's or 40's rust bucket!!!

Neat handle bars on frame "01". Those would be unique on a RRBike. 8)

If he has sturmey archer tcw's, they are 3 speed coaster brake hubs, grab em'. I have one on my 59' racer and I love it.

yes, 333 is shimano 3 speed.

Frame 02 looks exactly the same as a 16" AMF kids' bike I have. Same sprocket welded to the crank, same bars welded to the "stem", same forks. I bought it just to take off the convertible top tube/tank deal and use it as a faux top tube/tank on a 20" girls' bike. Still have the rest of it... it has solid rubber tires. Here's a pic:

jr16piece.JPG

--rick

Hey very cool, thanks for the info guys! The AMF looks a lot like the first bike I rode without training wheels but it was green, or had a green seat - wow serious flashback!

The Sturmey hub says does say THREE SPEED on it, so hooray! (but I think it is missing the little chain thingy - I know nothing about 3-speed hubs - guess I'll find out!) Only numbers i find say "AW" in one of the triangles, and then there is a "65", then there is a "4" but it's not next to the 65. So ya think it's a 1965 rim?

The 333 says 333 on it, and also says""THREE SPEED HUB F" and " U.S.A. PAT 3021728".

I am hoping one of these works with my new 3-speed shifter - I'm sure i'll have a zillion questions in regards to these hubs. Thanks, T.

"Quote" Only numbers i find say "AW" in one of the triangles, and then there is a "65", then there is a "4" but it's not next to the 65. So ya think it's a 1965 rim?

yep,probably a '65.

Oh man that would have been funny, no I only had to walk about 2.5 acres of weeds and brush - I thought I was alone way back there, and I had my knife out to cut off an old electric cord so I could tie it all up and carry it - the old man walked around the corner as I jumped off an old trailer - with knife in hand - I think he wet himself, but I apologized for scaring him. :mrgreen:

nice find. frames 2 and 3 are cool. I would like to find a frame like those to build for my boys. What kind of shifter do you have? You can intermix shifter somewhat if you don't mind finding the gears. The shimano333 is a even pull and the Sturmey's have a different pulls between gears. But I used a 333 shifter on a Fitchel and sachs hub which is like the sturmey.

kingplinker said:
Oh man that would have been funny, no I only had to walk about 2.5 acres of weeds and brush - I thought I was alone way back there, and I had my knife out to cut off an old electric cord so I could tie it all up and carry it - the old man walked around the corner as I jumped off an old trailer - with knife in hand - I think he wet himself, but I apologized for scaring him. :mrgreen:

so let me get a recap of events.............. seems to me like you were pullin a "SWOOP AND GRAB" mission but got inturupted in the process.......... uh huh.... and ENDED UP paying 20 bucks?!!!? do i got that right, huh huh do i?!!? I SAID DO I?!!!!? LOL, just kidding........ but realy is that how it was?!

lol, yeah, i guess with land like that you could get away with it to huh?!!? "thought it were a coyotte sturrin up the herd!!!" hahahhahahha

cman said:
nice find. frames 2 and 3 are cool. I would like to find a frame like those to build for my boys. What kind of shifter do you have? You can intermix shifter somewhat if you don't mind finding the gears. The shimano333 is a even pull and the Sturmey's have a different pulls between gears. But I used a 333 shifter on a Fitchel and sachs hub which is like the sturmey.

I actually do not know what type of shifter it is, but here is a pic - an old cheapy (like me) I guess.
I may be getting in over my head with shifters and variable speed hubs, and finding gears, and lacing spoked rims, etc. But going too give it a shot I guess.
shifter_3.JPG

Any of those small bike frames you can HAVE (for shipping cost), I like them, but my two boys are 7 & 9, and very tall, so they are already too big for them. That goes for anyone - the frames need a TON of work - but I really don't think I'll ever use them. But cman said it first so he has dibs. - Cheers, T.

kingplinker said:
cman said:

I actually do not know what type of shifter it is, but here is a pic - an old cheapy (like me) I guess.
That's a nice shifter.

One of the kids from my ol' hood had a musclebike with a shifter that looked like yours, but all I remember was that the bike was gold.
gold frame, gold glitter grips and gold glitter bannana seat. It wasn't an expensive bike, maybe a Huffy.

Back