BACK IN 74

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
su9u9yga.jpg

Those slant sixes will run forever! :thumbsup:

oh man, I can hear the gear-reduction starter trying to crank the "slant-ticks" to life now.

The story-telling vibe of this build is pretty addictive, but there's some creepy undertones to it that I can't quite explain nor describe......

I like how you worked the old bike repair book into the tale, Steve.

It was a long weekend for Tommy and he and his kid sister stayed with his Grandparents. They lived about three hours away on a farm down near Austin. While he was there, he and his Grandad ran by the Western Auto for a case of motor oil.

While they were there, Tommy spotted the final pieces he needed for his Schwinn...a Motocross kit made by American Biike Accessories. Old Grandpa was a pushover when it came to his Grandkids and he saw Tommy checking out the kit. He asked Tommy if he wanted an early birthday present and he told Tommy to grab the kit and bring it with them.

The cashier named Justin rang them up and told Tommy not to break an arm with a sinister grin on his face.

e3u5ara6.jpg

mxkit.jpg

this is fantastic RatRod getting in on the fun :D oh wait I mean Tommy

One of Tommy's heros of the motocross world was Preston Petty. Preston rode in the International Six Day Trials, raced for Honda and also did some flat track racing in the 60s. Eventually Preston started Preston Plastics which manufactured plastic MX fenders. As a nod to this great pioneer of the sport, Tommy chose to run Preston's racing grips.

du6uqe8u.jpg

uvy7yjur.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is one sweet build Tommy, reminds me of my 1977 Free Spirit
IMG_2674_zpsabfc23f9.jpg

Even if you never finish this bike, I don't care, I'm just loving this story!! :thumbsup:

More history lessons...

Well this explains why my 65 StingRay was so beat up ;) this explains why all StingRays are beat up :rolleyes:

Is the fender in that kit aluminium? One of the older kinds on the block had one with that rubber mud flap I always just assumed was a school shop project. Complete with electrical tape racing stripe of course.

Is the fender in that kit aluminium? One of the older kinds on the block had one with that rubber mud flap I always just assumed was a school shop project. Complete with electrical tape racing stripe of course.

This particular kit didn't come with a fender...the instruction sheet was apparently meant for all of the products they sell and not just this kit.

Back