Back from the dead! Brat's Down and dirty lowrider.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Body: Kokomo, In... Mind: in the gutter. Soul: in
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The before shot...... :oops:
P9100129.jpg

But as I always say it's not what it starts as it's what it becomes......Here comes the proof! :D
P2070474.jpg

I V-Dub thee.......The Brat Rod chubby lover......Chubby tires.....Still got to widen the frame gently with a 20 pound sledge hammer.....lol

And if you're wondering about a tank design......got it covered......my avatar is a pickup version of this..... Little work and I'll find a way to hold a beer in the bed of my bicycle tank.

P2070489.jpg

Re: I V-Dub thee.......The Brat Rod chubby lover

dogdart said:
pretty sweet so far :D you should try to incorporate more VW parts 8)

that is in the plans, can't give away all my secrets....lol.

Being a V-Dub guy, I love this idea! With the size of the flange on the front wheel, you could cut a hole in the center of some emblems and slide them over the axle, then JB weld on. Now see what you've done! You've got me schemin' :mrgreen:
I've got a front grill emblem from my '02 GTI,it's a little scratched from an accident, but it's yours if you want it.

Cheers,
Dr. T

Dr. Tankenstein said:
Being a V-Dub guy, I love this idea! With the size of the flange on the front wheel, you could cut a hole in the center of some emblems and slide them over the axle, then JB weld on. Now see what you've done! You've got me schemin' :mrgreen:
I've got a front grill emblem from my '02 GTI,it's a little scratched from an accident, but it's yours if you want it.

Cheers,
Dr. T

That would help a lot, I've got a few small VW logos from the scale cars but no bigger ones. Let me know what it'll cost to ship and I'll send you a few bucks. I still have a few things to do before I break it all down again to finish the frame work, paint, and all the other secret tricks but that is later :wink: . Just getting my ideas situated. :mrgreen: Here's a little sneak peek.

P2070503.jpg

P2070506.jpg

P2070505.jpg

That's cool 8) Really like the wheelie bar with the license plate :mrgreen:

Like the song says......

You ain't seen nothin' yet
B-B-B-Baby, you just ain't seen nothin' yet
Here's something that you never gonna forget
B-B-B-Baby, you just ain't seen nothin' yet

untitled-2.jpg

VW logo from the front of the microbus.
P2070504.jpg

My new headlight and my wrench stuck out to shake hands with that little dog that likes to chase me. :mrgreen:
untitled2.jpg

The foam block will be removed it's just to keep the body in place for mock up.
untitled.jpg

This is by far the kewlestest thing I have ever seen being built from one of those taste bud terrors.
What on earth are those killer tyres? Do they fit the frame without mods?

Baron von Zach said:
This is by far the kewlestest thing I have ever seen being built from one of those taste bud terrors.
What on earth are those killer tyres? Do they fit the frame without mods?

Thanks. The tires come off a stock West Coast Jesse James chopper thrown over a set of 20" rims. They do fit with no mods to the frame but they rub on the frame when aired up. In the back I had to cut out the brake bridge ( a grinder makes light work of this, I used a file....Old-school 8) ) and pulled the frame rails out a little but not much at all about a 1/4 inch each side. A scissor jack works wonders.

100_7590.jpg

The front works as it is but I had to do some configuring on it. I flipped the stove bolts on top around so the bolts go out instead of in and put the truss rods on the outside of the U shaped spring holder. Then I gave a slight radius to the truss bars....A hole cut in the thick wood workbench works wonders too.

As far as the wheelie bars I had an old set of roller blades that I robbed for the wheels. I have more of these wheels and some bigger size ones if anyone needs them.

I like the idea of using more vw parts. I am working on turning a large emblem from the front of a bus into a front portion of a chainguard. Have to be careful though, I can only afford one try, as these things are getting harder to locate. I didn't need this one as I mounted the camper spare tire bracket onto the front. My mech-skeleton rod uses the tops of some vw solexes for a heart. I also have a 63 beetle decklid I'm going to cut up to build a couple of custom tanks.

ozzmonaut said:
I like the idea of using more vw parts. I am working on turning a large emblem from the front of a bus into a front portion of a chainguard. Have to be careful though, I can only afford one try, as these things are getting harder to locate. I didn't need this one as I mounted the camper spare tire bracket onto the front. My mech-skeleton rod uses the tops of some vw solexes for a heart. I also have a 63 beetle decklid I'm going to cut up to build a couple of custom tanks.
sweet, I would love to have the money to have a set of custom VW logo wheels made. Ahhhh if I were rich..... :roll:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Custom-Billet-Alumi ... 1e548aa13f

Got a little done today like upholstering the seat. Old T-shirt a little scissor work and a lot of knots side to side under the seat. Just for that authentic Rat Rod style. I'm later going to add beads to them. Shirt is from FoulMouthShirts.com shame to cut up a brand new shirt but it didn't fit right.
P2080532.jpg

P2080530.jpg

Also here's a sneak peek of the fender light coming together...... :wink:

P2080529.jpg

P2080528.jpg

And a better pic of my headlight mount for those of you who love the details.

P2080516.jpg

and I got the rack kinda shaped how I want it now. I'm going to sandbag and hammer it later to make it look like a skate ramp.
P2080515.jpg

Lol the rack looks like a shovel head xD
Nice build so far love the headlight + spanner :D

nick_ish said:
Lol the rack looks like a shovel head xD
Nice build so far love the headlight + spanner :D

Thanks, I liked the look of the headlight too. And surprisingly it holds really solidly.

yoothgeye said:
How does the frame fit you as a rider?
With the banana seat it's not bad, I also plan to use some big ape hangers. I'm working on the shifter activated hydraulics now. :wink:

That thing is cool. Just posting here so I can keep an eye on it....

Back