Austin Bike Farm

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I write for a local website and came across the Austin Bike Farm. It's essentially a bicycle salvage yard in Austin, TX. Plus they got a sweet ramp in the back. Here's the link to my article. They got a little bit of everything. For what it's worth, two of the three employees commute 10 miles across town to their job on BMX bikes. When they told me that it really changed the way I think of getting to work.

Nice. I have rode my 20" Scrambler to work a few times, but the sad truth is, I feel more comfortable riding distances over 3 miles on a 26" wheel or bigger. The Austin Bike Farm looks like a for-profit version of the lco-ops around here, which is a good thing,m in my view....

So I took some of my old parts over there. I wanted to get started on my chrome huffy. What I ended up doing was walking away with a used GT! It's ratio is 42:16. Say what? That's what I was shooting for in the first place! So a couple of days later I took my bmx parts over to them as well since it felt like an unbalanced trade initially. After all, they gave me a complete bicycle.

The only hitch in my giddy up is the bike has a 3 piece crank and the teeth are worn down on the left crank. It fall off. It's a minor setback and I plan to head over there to pick up an extra crank set.

The dudes are cool. I spoke to James Shepherd as well. He helped found Homeless Bikes here in Austin in the early 90's.

Nice. I have rode my 20" Scrambler to work a few times, but the sad truth is, I feel more comfortable riding distances over 3 miles on a 26" wheel or bigger. The Austin Bike Farm looks like a for-profit version of the lco-ops around here, which is a good thing,m in my view....

Yes it is for profit. Other than the Yellow Bike Project, it's the only place in town to buy new or used parts and bikes.

Back