Auction Raleigh (and a goat)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I went to an auction this past weekend and came home with this Raleigh (and a stuffed mountain goat head). Of the four bikes there, the one that sold for the most was a Magna full suspension MTB which went for $90. A real Walmart piece of crap. This Raleigh was the only bike I was at all interested in and really only because of the leather saddle which was pretty rough but I thought I might be able to bring it back to life. Anyway, I wound up taking this thing home for $12.50
Raleigh001.jpg

Since getting it home I threw on some white tires I had hanging around and gave it a good cleaning. I was going to sell the seat but when I mentioned it to my local bike mechanic he remembered that he had mis-ordered some Brooks leather grip tape a while back and offered to sell me the tape for $30 installed. I also stopped in to visit with a local (horse) saddle maker. He turned me onto a product called Skidmores. AWESOME STUFF. The job it did on the leather was way better than I expected.
Raleigh003.jpg

Raleigh006.jpg

Raleigh004.jpg

Raleigh005.jpg

Raleigh007.jpg

Raleigh002.jpg

Anybody got a pair of white shifter caps?

Re: Auction Raleigh

Nice bike..Post a picture the stuffed mountain goat head... :wink:

Re: Auction Raleigh

jaydub said:
Nice bike..Post a picture the stuffed mountain goat head... :wink:
He's pretty dirty and his ears need a bit of hide-glue.
My wife was less than thrilled.
On the back it is marked with the hunter's name, date of the kill and location. It's really not that bad when you consider that the mount will be 40 years old this Sept.
MountainGoatMount001.jpg

MountainGoatMount003.jpg

Nice finds. I love old taxidermy too. I used to have an 8 ft tall bear mount. Scared the beegeezes out of kids around Halloween.

Here is a bad Iphone picture of my 8 pointer..It is about 30 years old...
3ce60d3d.jpg

jaydub said:
Ha! I appreciate your detective work but I can assure you this is a mountain goat taken from the Crazy Mountains in Montana. Sept 2 1972. Toughest permit in the state and if you draw a tag you are ineligible for the lottery fotr the next 7 years. Coworkers knew the deceased and there is zero doubt goabout its authenticity.

arpicker said:
Wow that cleaned up nice. How much was that leather care stuff and where did you get it? That seat looks nice now. Great find :)
The Skidmore's cost me $8 for a hockey puck sized jar. $70 for a really big "can" of it. If you cant google it let me know. I am so impressed I would be willing to distribute of they wont. PM me an d we can work something out.

Georgeediii said:
arpicker said:
Wow that cleaned up nice. How much was that leather care stuff and where did you get it? That seat looks nice now. Great find :)
The Skidmore's cost me $8 for a hockey puck sized jar. $70 for a really big "can" of it. If you cant google it let me know. I am so impressed I would be willing to distribute of they wont. PM me an d we can work something out.

Okay I found their website!! Thanks

Georgeediii said:
jaydub said:
Ha! I appreciate your detective work but I can assure you this is a mountain goat taken from the Crazy Mountains in Montana. Sept 2 1972. Toughest permit in the state and if you draw a tag you are ineligible for the lottery fotr the next 7 years. Coworkers knew the deceased and there is zero doubt goabout its authenticity.
I thought I deleted this post after a second look..you can see the Goat in it..at first I thought it was a Dall sheep..But then again what do I know..LOL..Any who its a cool mount..I bet it will clean up as well.. Guess I should stick to bikes..lol

Wonder how that Skidmores would work on the mountain goat. Nice transformation. My first woodcarving was a mountain goat for a girlfriend's birthday. We have been married 35 years now.

Back