Auction Hunters

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
outskirtscustoms said:
Ended up seeing it on C-list later that day for $4,500 with the quote "Wife said it goes or I do"..... :lol:
:shock: How bad would you want a bug!?? :mrgreen: I wouldn't want to be that guy.

I wouldn't mind having another one, I've owned a few over the years and they are easy to work on, cheap on gas and insurance, and are a relatively cool car. Not to mention I'm kinda a V-dub fanatic. But I'm not so fanatic that I'd pay twice it's blue book value either........ :roll:

Now on the other hand if it had been any pre-1940 or a pre-1952 split window beetle then I'd beg, borrow, or steal $5,000 for it.

For a pre-1937 beetle I'd give both arms and legs and learn to drive with my teeth..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

outskirtscustoms said:
For a pre-1937 beetle I'd give both arms and legs and learn to drive with my teeth..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
now if you did that id say your really hardcore :mrgreen:

masterpoop63 said:
outskirtscustoms said:
now if you did that id say your really hardcore :mrgreen:

Well considering the rarity of a pre-1937 beetle I'd do it! That's probably the only way I'd ever afford one! :mrgreen:

Tailwinds said:
Back to topic, my opinion, both the guys from Pawn Stars and the guys from Auction Hunters..... Total bottom feeders.

Your welcome to your opinion, but I dont agree.

Pawn Stars... they provide a service that people obviously want. They even bring in an expert to figure out a value, and the biggest thing of all... they DONT twist the guys arm to sell, they make an offer and the seller always has the option to walk away.

Auction Hunters... So if these guys and others like them werent around, what would a Storage unit owner do with all the abandoned stuff? he probably dont want to mess with selling it, he just wants the unit cleaned out so he can go back to his business of collecting rent. Fair game as far as Im concerned, dont pay your rent.... your stuff will get sold. Pretty simple.

Bottom Feeders... to me that would be the Cash advance places, Car title loan etc. CRAZY interest rates are set so that the borrower has no chance of clearing the loan. But once again they provide a service that people obviously use otherwise they wouldnt be in business, but this kind of deal is just morally wrong.

I just saw a commercial for a new show called Storage Wars... same as Auction Hunters.

I suppose I look at it from the perspective of the judgement call one makes when trying to decide if you would want to do business with a business or entity. Do they posses a degree of integrity that's acceptable, or one that matches my own? It is, again, my opinion, but I'd have a tough time doing business with many of those guys. Unscrupulous? No. Shady? Not quite. But undesirable just the same.
Remove the glamour, staging, and posturing of television and I'm merely making a judgement call.... I'm often wrong, but rarely regarding my intuition.

Great, now A&E will develop a show where they do cash advances on antiques! :)

I was so upset when I saw this show come out, been in the auction world for a while and auctions do not look like that. It is not how I make my living but I know some that do and it is a hard living. now that the show is out there will be a lot more on the seen and it will drive auction prices higher. Bottom feeders? ......... well we know who the spoiled rich kids are huh? I do flea markets, auctions, ebay, craiglist, thrift stores and any thing else where I might find a deal. My mom tough me as a kid and used is all I know. Never had a new bike, car, or much else just used and what I could afford. It is great for those of you who make a few hundred thousand dollars a year and don't need to hustle for extra money. But I am a real person and I have real bills and I do what I need to pay them. You can call me what you will but I bet you aren't going to pay my bills for me, are you? So as long as I take care of my own what's it to you? Just go back to mommy and daddy's trust found and leave us working guys alone. I have a good full time job and I use things like this to supplement my income, dose that make me a bottom feeder for taking care of my wife and kids? Keep knocking a guy for trying it show's what a true ... you are.

This thread is headed in the wrong direction...
I guess we all have a different definition of what a "bottom feeder" is, and I'd hardly make that blanket assessment about folks that attend auctions or flea markets or estate sales. In fact, I just came from the flea market this afternoon... where my folks have a booth.... and where I buy and sell.
I assumed that the term "bottom feeder", as used in this thread, referred to the character of the individuals in the show and how they carried out their business, occasionally. I don't think the term was used anywhere in this thread in reference to the TYPE of business that the individuals performed, be it pawns, auctions, or otherwise.
It's somewhat funny to imagine that any of us here have trust funds, LOL! :D

Sorry, but I have been doing things like this my whole life. And now there are show teaching the public that this exists and that there is money to be made, that all of the people doing it are not scum but intelligent people who found a good way to make some extra cash. Occasionally some do well and make a living at it, I commend them. The show do make it harder to get deals, but they make the pay outs bigger which is good :D . The term bottom feeders was well understood. If you don't want people to take things the way that they are said, don't say them that way.

Sorry guys I didn't want to stir up crap on the site. Obviously opinions differ on the matter. Please do me a favor and let's not go any further on the subject. I really like this site for how nice everyone is and I really don't want to be the one to sour that.

BrunneCustoms said:
Sorry guys I didn't want to stir up crap on the site. Obviously opinions differ on the matter. Please do me a favor and let's not go any further on the subject. I really like this site for how nice everyone is and I really don't want to be the one to sour that.

Amen bro, let's keep it friendly :D

ya know, theres nothing wrong with peeps having different opinions.
don't mean a fights gonna break out. :lol:

Tailwinds said:
The issue that I'm REALLY struggling with is exactly the one that icyuod2 described just above:
"Yesterday i was at our local goodwill and saw an old beat up schwinn colleigate.
price tag $140.
i asked about the price and why it was so high(usually there priced much cheaper)
the response i got was this.
"well its a schwinn. did ya see the schwinn on auction hunters?"

yup, really starting to hate these shows."

Unless it sells at that price, they won`t continue to price in that manner. If it does, then that`s the market price.

While I hate to see prices get driven up, you can`t blame Goodwill for trying to get all they can for an item. In the past, they would have taken bids on that type of item, but they`ve quit doing that (in our city). All an individual can do is NOT pay the price, and hope it gets discounted...

El Duderino said:
i feel that if the seller leaves happy and the buyer leaves happy it creates tranquility.... no matter what the price
Exactly. If both parties leave a deal happy then what more can be asked? .........Maybe that's why i own so many bikes :oops: I put way too much time in them or take too much of a liking to them and never want to cut loose my babies.... :lol:

thirstee said:
In each of these instances observed and described, both the buyer and seller are benefiting. The buyer and seller have each found a sale price that both parties are comfortable with. Otherwise the sale would have never been made. Each party benefits from said transaction. Our perceptions of what an item is worth are unique based on a number of variables. Preference, locality, hype, popularity, supply, and demand are just a few that come to mind. As for the "bottom feeder" comment, I find that statement offensive. If you're referring to a person as a bottom feeder as if it were a negative aspect I completely disagree. Would you also consider such an individual a scavenger? Both descriptions are relatively the same. I find neither description to be unfavorable. Any person who benefits from a discarded or unwanted item has the perception to notice the value of that item. How is this a bad quality? I would like to address one more issue. Some have complained about the inflated asking price for the bicycles we all adore. I believe we can control this to an extent. Refusal to pony up is our best defense. In my case it's just a reality as I cannot afford most of what is offered to me, new or used. That's why I find this site so appealing. I feel welcome here because many of the members share the same ideals that I do! Sorry for the rant, but I just couldn't stand idly by while the principles of my hobby are being misrepresented.

Well put and by the way the guys from American Pickers are local to me. They are good guys that know alot of people who collect but can not go out and look for themselves. So alot of the time they are looking for specific items or genres and have to keep in mind they need to make a profit. We do live in a free market/enterprise society and as long as both the seller and buyer are happy then who cares? I have seen some prices here and ebay that are out of my budget or I think are overpriced in general but when I look to see where it comes from and it is in Cali. or even Chicago and I am in the land of corn (Iowa) I realize the cost of living is greatly different too and that needs to be taken into account on prices. Well thats my rant. I'm out.

someguy83 said:
thirstee said:
In each of these instances observed and described, both the buyer and seller are benefiting. The buyer and seller have each found a sale price that both parties are comfortable with. Otherwise the sale would have never been made. Each party benefits from said transaction. Our perceptions of what an item is worth are unique based on a number of variables. Preference, locality, hype, popularity, supply, and demand are just a few that come to mind. As for the "bottom feeder" comment, I find that statement offensive. If you're referring to a person as a bottom feeder as if it were a negative aspect I completely disagree. Would you also consider such an individual a scavenger? Both descriptions are relatively the same. I find neither description to be unfavorable. Any person who benefits from a discarded or unwanted item has the perception to notice the value of that item. How is this a bad quality? I would like to address one more issue. Some have complained about the inflated asking price for the bicycles we all adore. I believe we can control this to an extent. Refusal to pony up is our best defense. In my case it's just a reality as I cannot afford most of what is offered to me, new or used. That's why I find this site so appealing. I feel welcome here because many of the members share the same ideals that I do! Sorry for the rant, but I just couldn't stand idly by while the principles of my hobby are being misrepresented.

Well put and by the way the guys from American Pickers are local to me. They are good guys that know alot of people who collect but can not go out and look for themselves. So alot of the time they are looking for specific items or genres and have to keep in mind they need to make a profit. We do live in a free market/enterprise society and as long as both the seller and buyer are happy then who cares? I have seen some prices here and ebay that are out of my budget or I think are overpriced in general but when I look to see where it comes from and it is in Cali. or even Chicago and I am in the land of corn (Iowa) I realize the cost of living is greatly different too and that needs to be taken into account on prices. Well thats my rant. I'm out.

exactly :lol:

Back