Auction finds

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got these three and would like some help with age and Manufacturer.

Hawthorn skiptooth double bar. Brass head badge. Only number I can find is 74EH on the BB.

Hawthorn skiptooth double bar. Gothic fenders, brass headbadge, no handlebars, interesting rack, F31148 on the BB. Tires and wheels junk.

Western Flyer on the head badge and faintly on the tank. NOT skiptooth, no bells or horns in tank, cannot find a number anywhere! Rusty and rough.

Any advice and I.D. help is appreciated. I'm a relatively new collector, but like many of you, I am already addicted to the hunt for old bikes. I have sold very little, and have never parted a bike out, but probably don't have room to keep these. The Western Flyer is pretty rough, but it kinda goes against my love of old two-wheelers to take it apart.
Would anyone ever want a complete bike this rusty? Thanks!

It doesn't look that rusty yet. That's just patina so far. :p YES! Someone would love to have that bike to rat or restore. Gary

The last one, the W/F, was built by Huffman between 49 and 54 give or take... And yes, people like to find still intact bikes, even if rusty.

Thanks for your help! Even though a bit different, I assume the first two Hawthornes are CWC built. Does anyone have a serial number database for CWC to help age?

Besides Doug, answers aren't coming fast and furious, so I will attempt to answer a couple of your questions to the best of my knowledge.
First bike is a '47 Snyder built Hawthorne. After 1940 Snyder reversed numbers to reflect date of manufacture 74=47
Second bike is Cleveland Welding. F serial numbers were used (to the best of my knowledge) in 1940 & 1946 (unless they are followed by a small CW or ACW in later years). Is there a CW or ACW?
I'm a little bit confused about a couple things on this bike, but I'd say that it's a 1946, because there are no dropstand tangs on the rear dropouts (prewar had them). One who is more sure of their facts, could give a more complete explanation.
If you really want to get excited about these bikes, you may be very surprised at the remaining paint that lurks just below the surface of all that rust! Go get some 0000 steel wool and some WD40 and start wiping down some of that rust in an inconspicuous area. If indeed you do find a nice patina, be aware that there is also pinstriping and probably white areas on the fenders and frame under all that rust, and you should proceed with a very gentle touch. These are very nice mostly complete original bikes. It would be a shame if they were parted out, as many would have you do. They've survived intact this long.

Back