Artistic Fellow Seeks Quality Cruiser.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I've not gotten to build a bike for 3 or 4 months now, and the itch is getting to me. I've generally stuck to modifying Mountain bikes, but I just felt like doing a Cruiser.

Enter the Felt Canvas... Which I am stoked to get my hands on So I can use my artistic abilities in was I've never done on a bike.

So far my biggest hurdle in deciding what to build is a severe lack of high end cruiser parts. particularly wheels. I can fab or repurpose a lot of things from other fields. but getting my hands on strong lightISH wide rims that I can paint/figure out brakes for has been tricky.

I want this canvas to be looks first, but I also make sure to build bikes to last. I'm not one to cut a corner. Nor am I one to just throw my wallet at it.

here is a couple pictures of my daily.

299665_203630716375704_100001863305039_483554_930685073_n.jpg

295857_202752739796835_100001863305039_481603_1518895895_n.jpg

And here are a few questions

What are the best brake set ups for a custom? I see pedal brakes on a lot, but I always broke those as a kid. have those improved? I'd really prefer discs, but the plumbing and retrofitting seems like it would leave a lot to be desired in both form and function.

Anyone else on here big on the custom painting? I'd love to be able to see some of the more interesting threads on it before my months of grazing begin!

Higher end wheels for these bad boys?

Are there any stores that google isn't showing me that stock GOOD parts for Cruisers? instead of the cheap chromey stuff I keep finding?

thanks, and hello!

I'm running a Chris king headset, an MTB sealed bottom bracket, and stainless spokes on my alloy weinmann wheels. And I'm on the beginning end of what some of the guys on here have and are doing...just look in the " builds" section...I'm surenyoumwill find some great ideas...

I like a lot of what I've seen on your bike, I have some ideas in mind for my cruiser and Blacking out a lot of parts just always seems like a good idea.

Thanks Soma...I got a lot of my inspiration from these guys on this forum. I'm pretty much floored by the ingenuity I see here on a daily basis. Just because you run a cruiser frame doesn't mean you cannot run top flight components...look closely, you'll see them all over the place!

Sup "S-Groove"...might wanna chk out Cycle US... I think Surly also makes phat Quality rims...seems ta me we R :mrgreen: CK the same boat Brotha!..did mtb 4 a season...trails and then some...took a break... Then my amigo brought me back into the Madness with "Cruzers"...
"Lord have Mercy!!" .... Here we go again :mrgreen: .... so we integrated parts from DH/MTB/BMX to the cruiser frame...sometimes it's a challenge... but when alls said n done... the rest is "Gravy"...anyways.. Welcome...post snaps of your project...Good Luck!! :mrgreen:

Here's a kick ... example that's on the SF Craigslist...

62d018bc-42d4-7679.jpg

62d018bc-42e8-01c1.jpg

"YowZa" that's what I'm talkin bout!!..."Johnny on the spot" with that GIRVIN fork. "RonK" :mrgreen:

@Ronk: exactly, I'm all about the good stuff!

@Laidback: I'll check that site! I never even thought about Surly for a cruiser before, which is funny as it seems like something totally in keeping with the Design Ethos of those guys!

@Ronk: Loving the Noleen/K2/Girvin fork! Is anyone making them new or do I need to hunt down an old one? :D

Back