Artificial Patina???

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's some on an old Henderson-Excelsior :wink:
032.jpg

rust is easy enough, the paint is the tricky part. there was a post on here a while ago about some guy that does whole scenes with rat style testors type model kits, there was some good about painting patina in it, I'll try and look it up... :roll:

YIKES! That Excelsior looks much too purposefully patina'd.

I've had success with walnut colored wood stain. Gives everything that deep even dirty look without looking fake.

this was painted over good black paint
027-3.jpg

028-2.jpg

029-1.jpg

and after some engine cleaner, rubbing alcohol, dr pepper and wet sanding, its aged!!
042.jpg

040.jpg

t004.jpg

theres some other things using files and secrets :mrgreen: but ive gotten some "how old is that"s. hasent sat long enough to rust though

The toughest thing to doing fake patina is getting texture. There are many ways to do this. I try to use a primer and when it is still wet sprinkle it with either cinnamon or real rust particles, take a steel plate and let it sit out for a few months then sand it and save the rust that comes off, repeat till you have plenty of rust. Also when doing your base coat leave it runny or apply it with a brush and build up some texture to it. then when you sand through think of where if the bike were layed in a certain position where would get worn most. Hope this helps.

outskirtscustoms said:
The toughest thing to doing fake patina is getting texture. There are many ways to do this. I try to use a primer and when it is still wet sprinkle it with either cinnamon or real rust particles, take a steel plate and let it sit out for a few months then sand it and save the rust that comes off, repeat till you have plenty of rust. Also when doing your base coat leave it runny or apply it with a brush and build up some texture to it. then when you sand through think of where if the bike were layed in a certain position where would get worn most. Hope this helps.
gotta agree right here! i have no texture on the black bike, but it usually adds to the realism if its there. the cracked style spray paint, under neath usually works realy well for some "oil under paint" style

I did some on a car a while ago. It was fun. I took it to a cruise in event. It was fun watching people and hearing them discuss with each other the rust and trying to figure out if it was real or not.

I used 1 brown spray can, 1 reddish brown, and flat black.

I layed down the dark brown first then put the reddish brown over it and expanded the area out. I sanded it down in a swirling motion with 400 grit or so to get the shine off and give a little blochiness to the "rust". I touched it up with a little flat black in light spirts from a foot away or so just to give a hint of texture. I did this all on top of the base color. If you are starting from scratch, it would work best to put the paint color on top of the rust colors. Just layer on the colors and sand through until you love it. Start with maybe a silver then primer, deep rust, light rust, and then the color. I have seen some other really impressive rust jobs that look better than this, but I don't have pictures.

I had people ask me all the time if i was ever going to paint the car. My response was "I just did".

Here are some close-ups.

SubaruSwap007-1.jpg

SubaruSwap008-1.jpg

IMG_3514.jpg

IMG_2837.jpg

Bike builder that is great.
I have the same philosophy when it comes to patinas. You have to start with what it originally looked like then create the effect from there. Not sure if this is the best pic but wanted my chrome on Wretched 2 to look like old brass. Started with a matt gold paint. Then used a antiquing glaze and black paint to dirty them up. Then using a brush, very lightly added some hi-lights back in areas I thought might get rubbed on a lot over the years.
paintedpedal.jpg

cabledetail.jpg

Back