Arkham Flyer. UPDATE 4-15-10 New Photos

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the inspiration:
2006-28254h.jpg

More to follow.
Sean

Re: Arkham Flyer

ill be watching this one - i love the old racing bikes -a good friend of mine has a real 1907 racycle in ridable shape. those old wooden wheels are still true.

The one in the photos is a Wright Brothers St. Clair. My parts are mostly new or dumpster finds. I will be trying to find a stem like the St. Clairs but I'm using some Schwinn Middleweight bars that are flipped for my handle bars. The "Arkham" in the name of this one is a nod to turn of the last century sci-fi/horror author, H.P. Lovecraft and the fake city of Arkham, Mass. The frame is a dumpster dived Sears freesprit thats getting 26x1.75 rims and tires. Grips and seat from Wal-mart. Pic to follow.

Headbadge
arkhamflyer.jpg

Going to print it on clear w/s decal paper and put it on a thin copper sheet.
Frame. Gonna paint is Navy Blue.
DSC03116.jpg

Bars
DSC03117.jpg

saddle
DSC03118.jpg

:lol: better stability for taking pictures.

stretch said:
:lol: better stability for taking pictures.
You must be the human tri-pod :lol: I'll just leave it at that since there might be kids reading this thread :lol:

exactly my thoughts. does he fall over every once in a while? :lol:

Well, There may be some cool things to come with the headbadge. My wife has given her blessing for a Brooks B-67(?) seat! I should be able to get started stripping paint this week end.
Sean

Update to the parts list
real-cork-grips.jpg

g266.jpg

e5352.jpg

b67threequarter.jpg

Just my Kind of bike, this one will be a cooker.
Very interested about the head badge development, whatever you go for, please document it for us followers!

sean138 said:
The one in the photos is a Wright Brothers St. Clair. My parts are mostly new or dumpster finds. I will be trying to find a stem like the St. Clairs but I'm using some Schwinn Middleweight bars that are flipped for my handle bars. The "Arkham" in the name of this one is a nod to turn of the last century sci-fi/horror author, H.P. Lovecraft and the fake city of Arkham, Mass. The frame is a dumpster dived Sears freesprit thats getting 26x1.75 rims and tires. Grips and seat from Wal-mart. Pic to follow.

Interesting! I really need to read that book... there is an interesting bit of history there, supposedly. I was told that, long ago, the town of Oakham (my hometown, where I still live) was quite a sketchy little place. :shock: I don't know what exactly went on there, but whatever it was, it was supposed to be pretty screwy, and so as the story goes supposedly Lovecraft modeled the story involving "Arkham" after Oakham... Arkham was based on a real place, and that was Oakham! I don't know the history of the town too well yet, and haven't read the book he wrote involving Arkham, but for years I've been meaning to read up on both to see if it was true...

That said, sounds like an awesome bike is in the making. The inspiration is certainly top notch :mrgreen:

Unchained said:
sean138 said:

Interesting! I really need to read that book... there is an interesting bit of history there, supposedly. I was told that, long ago, the town of Oakham (my hometown, where I still live) was quite a sketchy little place. :shock: I don't know what exactly went on there, but whatever it was, it was supposed to be pretty screwy, and so as the story goes supposedly Lovecraft modeled the story involving "Arkham" after Oakham... Arkham was based on a real place, and that was Oakham! I don't know the history of the town too well yet, and haven't read the book he wrote involving Arkham, but for years I've been meaning to read up on both to see if it was true...

That said, sounds like an awesome bike is in the making. The inspiration is certainly top notch :mrgreen:
Cool! Arkham is in many of Lovecrafts stories. Its the home to his made up Miskatonic University, which figures in many of his stories as well. Most of his tales involve legends and lore spiced up with aliens and made up myths and horror. Very freakish writing for the early 1900's. Re-animator is a very bad move based on Lovecrafts story of the same name. Most of it is set in Arkham and Boston.
Sean

Working mock up number 1
DSC03140.jpg

DSC03142.jpg

DSC03141.jpg

Re: Arkham Flyer. UPDATE 4-1-10

NEW PICS
DSC03167.jpg

DSC03165.jpg

DSC03166.jpg

DSC03168.jpg

flip those handle bars upside down :D

You need to rename this OCKHAM'S RAZOR
Occam's razor (or Ockham's razor[1]), is the meta-theoretical principle that entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity and the conclusion thereof, that the simplest solution is usually the correct one.
Since you are keeping it clean and simple the concept of "must not be multiplied beyond necessity " seems to apply.

g-ratter said:
You need to rename this OCKHAM'S RAZOR
Occam's razor (or Ockham's razor[1]), is the meta-theoretical principle that entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity and the conclusion thereof, that the simplest solution is usually the correct one.
Since you are keeping it clean and simple the concept of "must not be multiplied beyond necessity " seems to apply.
I like your idea. Keeping it a very simple bicycle is what I'm doing but I'm really stuck on my Lovecraft theme. Ockham's Razor might be best built by one of the better builders that can do a much better job of demonstrating that theory in bike form.

I did try the bars flipped but the ride wasn't bearable for me.

This bike is looking nice and clean.

I hear you on the flipped bars.. as much as I love the look, they're not comfortable for me either. At least for the kind of riding I'm wanting to do around the neighborhood.

Back